Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Resolutions of ATLAS Detectors

1. Apr 11, 2016 #1

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Hi,
    I was looking for ATLAS detector parts resolutions (momentum for Inner Detector and Energy for the CAL systems).
    Does anyone have a nice reference?
    So far I found something like this for the ID:
    [itex] \sigma_{1/p_T} = 0.34 \text{TeV}^{-1} \Big(1 \oplus \frac{44 \text{GeV}}{p_T} \Big) [/itex]
    With ##\oplus## meaning that the two terms are added in quadrature and then the square root is taken.
    However this formula was from Run1 and before the installation of the B-Layer.
    Has the last altered this expression?

Similarily for the ECAL:
    [itex] \frac{\sigma_E}{E(\text{GeV})} = \frac{a}{\sqrt{E(\text{GeV})}} \oplus b[/itex]
    [itex]a_{\text{design}}=10 \%[/itex]
    [itex]b_{\text{design}}=0.7 \%[/itex]
    or from tests on e, μ and pions:
    [itex]a_{\text{exper}}=10.7 \%[/itex]
    [itex]b_{\text{exper}}=0.5 \%[/itex]
    (http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-0221/3/08/S08003/meta)

Do you know if they have changed (ref)?
    I don't think that the dependencies will be changed (1/p or sqrt(1/E) ) but the numbers in front probably have.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can simply go through the list of things ATLAS published, e. g. this page for the performance of the inner detector tracking. Found with google: "atlas inner detector momentum resolution".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted