Resonant frequincy of capped cylinders

In summary, the resonant frequency of a capped cylinder can be calculated using a formula that only takes into account the length of the cylinder, not the radius. However, the radius may affect other resonances in the cylinder. In the case of a short cavity, the radius may play a more significant role in determining the resonance frequency. Further information on this topic can be found in books on Fourier analysis.
PH7SICS
I'm looking for a formula to calculate the resonant frequency of a capped cylinder. I have found a link to a formula but was surprised to see that cylinder radius is not taken into account when making the calculation.

It was my understanding that the larger the radius of a cylinder the lower the note produced, is that correct?

How dose cylinder radius relate to the note produced eg if I had five cylinders of equal length but each one being twice the radius of the other what effect would this have on the sound produced?Here is a link to the formula I mentioned

hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/waves/clocol.html#c1

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PH7SICS said:
I'm looking for a formula to calculate the resonant frequency of a capped cylinder. I have found a link to a formula but was surprised to see that cylinder radius is not taken into account when making the calculation.

It was my understanding that the larger the radius of a cylinder the lower the note produced, is that correct?

No, the radius might affect things like the quality factor (i.e the width of the resonance) but the resonance frequency itself (i.e. the centre frequency) only depends on the length.

There are of course OTHER resonances in a capped cylinder that depend on the radius etc (there are usually plenty of resonance frequencies in real 3D objects) but they in turn do not depend on the length and occur at other frequencies. Moreover, they are usually not exited in a long tube and you rarely need to take them into account.

Consider the following experiment:

An empty paint can (capped cylinder) is half filled with water and positioned over a tap so that the tap is over the exact centre of the can.
The tap is now finely adjusted so that a single drop of water drips from the tap. The water drop hits the surface of the water in the can and produces a ripple. The ripple travels out from the centre of the can and rebound off the walls of the can only to converge back to the centre of the can again.
The tap is so adjusted that as the wave converges at the centre point another droplet hits the water surface. In this way resonance is set up. It will be found that the radius of the can determines the resonant frequency.

Yes, but what you are describing is not the resonance frequency of a capped tube; it is a resonance of a disc/membrane (which just happens to be one end of a tube); i.e. essentially a 2D problem since in your example the resonance frequency does not depend on the length.
As I wrote above: There are MANY different resonances (modes) in a real capped tube; including some exotic ones like whispering gallery modes.

This problem is usually solved in courses in Fourier analysis when the method of separation of variables is introduced; it is relatively straightforward in cylindrical coordinates since there is axial symmetry and -depending on the initial conditions- you will end up with a solution involving products of Bessel functions, cos and sin functions.

Unfortunately I can't find a good link, but you should be able to find the answer in any book on Fourier analysis.

Thanks f95toli, I am looking to machine cavitys to resonate at ultrasonic frequencies. The cavitys will therefore be relatively short in length, this is why I was thinking about the radius of the cavitys. When a cavity is relatively short I'm thinking that sort of resonance I mentioned before might be setup and therefore cavity radius may become an important factor?

What is the resonant frequency of a capped cylinder?

The resonant frequency of a capped cylinder refers to the natural frequency at which the cylinder will vibrate when excited by an external force. It is dependent on the material, dimensions, and boundary conditions of the cylinder.

How can the resonant frequency of a capped cylinder be calculated?

The resonant frequency of a capped cylinder can be calculated using the equation f = (n/2L)*sqrt(E/ρ), where n is the mode number, L is the length of the cylinder, E is the Young's modulus of the material, and ρ is the density of the material.

What factors can affect the resonant frequency of a capped cylinder?

The resonant frequency of a capped cylinder can be affected by factors such as the material properties, dimensions of the cylinder, boundary conditions, and any added mass or damping. Changes in these factors can alter the natural frequency of the cylinder.

Why is the resonant frequency of a capped cylinder important?

The resonant frequency of a capped cylinder is important because it can help determine the stability and structural integrity of the cylinder. It can also be used in practical applications such as in musical instruments or industrial machinery.

How can the resonant frequency of a capped cylinder be measured?

The resonant frequency of a capped cylinder can be measured experimentally using techniques such as frequency response analysis or modal analysis. These methods involve exciting the cylinder with an external force and measuring its response to determine the resonant frequency.