Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resonant Frequencies of Coaxial Cylinders

1. Jul 20, 2009 #1
    Does anyone know of a formula for determining the various resonant frequencies of 2 coaxial cylinders with radius a and b and height h? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2009 #2
    well the resonant frequency is basically determined by the length of the tube (cyclinder). In closed end cyclinders the resonant frequency has a wave length of four times the length of the cylinder. In order to get it resonating required a wave of enough amplitude (energy) to make it resonate.

Similarly the resonant wave length in an open ended cylinder is double the length of the cyclinder

4. Jul 20, 2009 #3
    I appreciate that, but my question pertains to two cylinders, on inside the other. I need to find the resonant frequency of the cavity between them. I have the formula for a single cylinder, but can not find one for the coaxial set.

5. Jul 20, 2009 #4
    First, I assume you have a connector on one end. What kind of connector, and what is the impedance of the connecting cable? 50 ohms? 75 ohms

Second, is the other end of the coaxial tube assembly open or shorted?

third, the impedance of the coaxial tube assembly is

Z = [377/(2 pi)] Ln(b/a) where b is the radius of the larger cylinder.

Fourth, the one-way transit time is h/c where c= 3 x 108 meters per sec. h is the full wave wavelength. The full wave frequency is c/h. The lowest resonant frequency is the 1/4 wave frequency, c/4h. If one end is open, the other looks like a short. If one end is shorted, the other end should have an impedance Z2/(short resistance). A quarter wave line is an impedance transformer. If the Z of the coaxial tube is not the same as the impedance of the cable, then you have an impedance mismatch. See attached thumbnail for a 0 to 100 MHz frequency sweep of a 10-ns long coaxial 50 ohm line. The 10-ns line looks open at the 1/4 and 3/4 wavelength frequencies (25 and 75 MHz), and shorted at the 1/2 and 1/1 (50 and 100 MHz) wavelength frequencies

[Edit] Here is a website for quarter wave lines referred by Berkman
    http://www.microwaves101.com/encyclopedia/quarterwave.cfm

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook