Resources for learning how to do proofs Linear algebra

In summary, the conversation discussed resources for learning how to do proofs and view abstract math better in linear algebra. The individual expressed difficulty in understanding proofs and recommended reading the first few chapters of books such as Principles of Mathematics by Allendoerfer and Oakley, Euclidean Geometry: A First Course by Mark Solomonovich, and Discrete Mathematics Demystified. They also mentioned not enjoying many of the popular proof-teaching books.
caljuice
Any resources to learn how to do proofs or view abstract math better in linear algebra?

A lot of time when I read the solution to proof questions, I don't even see how that proves the statement. The way they are written seems unintuitive. This is my first abstract math course. I've never had so much trouble in a course before. The are computations are easy though at least.

Physics news on Phys.org
linear algebra is often used as the first proofs course. It helped me however to have a prior course just on the idea of a proof in general. I learned from the first few chapters of principles of mathematics by allendoerfer and oakley. another good introduction is in the first or possibly second edition of geometry by harold jacobs, but not the third edition. other books on proofs people like are velleman, etc but i do not like many of them much myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations, matrices, vectors, and their properties.

2. Why is learning how to do proofs in linear algebra important?

Learning how to do proofs in linear algebra is important because it helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for any scientist. It also provides a foundation for understanding more advanced topics in mathematics and applications in various fields.

3. What are some good resources for learning how to do proofs in linear algebra?

Some good resources for learning how to do proofs in linear algebra include textbooks such as "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler, online courses like those offered by Khan Academy and Coursera, and video lectures from universities such as MIT and Stanford.

4. How can I improve my skills in doing proofs in linear algebra?

Improving your skills in doing proofs in linear algebra requires practice and persistence. It is important to start with basic concepts and gradually work your way up to more advanced topics. You can also benefit from working with a study group or seeking help from a tutor.

5. Are there any tips for successfully doing proofs in linear algebra?

Some tips for successfully doing proofs in linear algebra include understanding the definitions and theorems, breaking down the problem into smaller steps, and using visual aids such as diagrams or matrices. It is also important to check your work and be open to feedback and corrections.