Resources for the rectangular segmentation of an image (ML)

• Thread starter Avatrin
  • Start date
Hi

I see there are several articles about how CNN's are used to isolate and classify an object within an nxm rectangular region. While I know how to classify an image into one of p classes, I am not sure how to segment an image into rectangular regions which contain certain objects and, lets say, extract those regions.

I understand how to segment an image into non-rectangular regions by classifying each pixel by its and its neighbouring pixels values. However, I am not sure how to approach the problem of creating rectangular regions containing an object belonging to a class and extract that.

What are some good resources where I can learn to do this?

Google can be your best friend: rectangular segmentation.
For specific code examples you can learn to use OpenCV, a very good library for computer vision and machine learning with a lot of resources and a big community of users.

Well, Google wasn't of much help. The first page is full of papers for segmentation using rectangles, but it doesn't exactly give me an efficient method to extract a rectangular region containing an object; The methods are used for something different entirely.

I am just looking for a method which is smarter than the one that seems the most obvious: Finding the top, bottom, left- and rightmost pixels classified as belonging to class A and creating a region based on that (a misclassified pixel would completely ruin the segmentation + I cannot find multiple objects belonging to the same class in an image).

However, I made some progress; The term for the rectangular region I was looking for is a bounding box. So, my Google searches have improved. I guess I'll find something soon enough.