Resources for the rectangular segmentation of an image (ML)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of CNNs for segmenting images into rectangular regions containing certain objects. The speaker is looking for resources to learn how to efficiently extract these regions and mentions using Google, specifically searching for "rectangular segmentation" or using the OpenCV library. They mention that Google was not helpful and that the term for the desired rectangular region is a bounding box. The speaker expresses hope in finding a solution soon.
Avatrin
Hi

I see there are several articles about how CNN's are used to isolate and classify an object within an nxm rectangular region. While I know how to classify an image into one of p classes, I am not sure how to segment an image into rectangular regions which contain certain objects and, let's say, extract those regions.

I understand how to segment an image into non-rectangular regions by classifying each pixel by its and its neighbouring pixels values. However, I am not sure how to approach the problem of creating rectangular regions containing an object belonging to a class and extract that.

What are some good resources where I can learn to do this?

Technology news on Phys.org
Google can be your best friend: rectangular segmentation.
For specific code examples you can learn to use OpenCV, a very good library for computer vision and machine learning with a lot of resources and a big community of users.

Well, Google wasn't of much help. The first page is full of papers for segmentation using rectangles, but it doesn't exactly give me an efficient method to extract a rectangular region containing an object; The methods are used for something different entirely.

I am just looking for a method which is smarter than the one that seems the most obvious: Finding the top, bottom, left- and rightmost pixels classified as belonging to class A and creating a region based on that (a misclassified pixel would completely ruin the segmentation + I cannot find multiple objects belonging to the same class in an image).

However, I made some progress; The term for the rectangular region I was looking for is a bounding box. So, my Google searches have improved. I guess I'll find something soon enough.

What is the purpose of using rectangular segmentation in image processing?

The purpose of using rectangular segmentation in image processing is to divide an image into smaller rectangular regions for easier analysis and manipulation. This allows for more precise feature extraction and classification in machine learning applications.

What are some common resources used for rectangular segmentation of images in machine learning?

Some common resources used for rectangular segmentation of images in machine learning include OpenCV, Tensorflow, and MATLAB. These tools provide various algorithms and techniques for segmenting images into rectangular regions.

How do I choose the appropriate rectangular segmentation method for my image data?

The choice of the appropriate rectangular segmentation method depends on various factors such as the type of image data, the desired level of accuracy, and the complexity of the image. It is important to understand the strengths and limitations of each method and to experiment with different techniques to determine the most suitable one for your specific data.

Can rectangular segmentation be used for images with irregular shapes?

Yes, rectangular segmentation can be used for images with irregular shapes. In such cases, the image can be divided into multiple rectangular regions to cover the entire image. Alternatively, techniques such as edge detection can be used to identify the boundaries of the irregular shape and create a bounding box for segmentation.

Are there any limitations to using rectangular segmentation for image processing?

One limitation of using rectangular segmentation is that it may not be suitable for images with complex and overlapping objects. In such cases, more advanced techniques such as semantic segmentation may be necessary. Additionally, rectangular segmentation may not be effective for images with low contrast or significant variations in lighting. It is important to carefully evaluate the image data and choose the appropriate segmentation method for the best results.