Respected Accreditations by Employers

• Thread starter Cod
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the different accreditations and their importance to potential employers. The speaker mentions that regional accreditations are widely accepted, but there are also specific accreditation groups for professional fields. They also mention their concern about the accreditation of their chosen university, Grantham University, which offers a computer science program with electives in advanced topics. The speaker explains that they are in the military and cannot attend a traditional classroom due to their location, and asks for further advice on the matter.
Cod
I know there are a ton of accreditations out there these days (national, regional, etc.); however, I was wondering if there are any in particular that employers like? For example, I'm planning on earning part of my degree online at a university that is accredited by DETC, but I don't want a potential employer to scoff at my resume because of the accreditating body of my diploma. I've been to CHEA's website, but couldn't really find much information.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
A lot depends on your field of study. Almost everybody accepts the 6 regional accreditations, for example, Middle States for my region. But, if you're going into a professional field, each of those also has an accreditation group, ABET for engineering for example.

DETC is certainly a legitimate agency, but many people will not have heard of it. Most people will never even talk to you about accreditation. The problem you will more often face is whether your school sounds OK when a prospective employer scans your resume and then verifies your attendance. What's your program of study and at what school?

I recently got accepted to the Computer Science program at Grantham University located here: http://www.grantham.edu/academics/degrees_computer_science.php The school offers some really good CS electives in topics such as artificial intelligence and advanced graphics programming.

The primary reason I asked the question is because I am in the military and stationed overseas, so a traditional classroom environment isn't an option since the schools on base do not offer a computer science or software engineering degree.

Again, any help is greatly appreciated and thanks for the information thus far.

1. What are "respected accreditations" by employers?

"Respected accreditations" refer to certifications or credentials that have been recognized and approved by employers as being valuable and relevant to a particular field or industry.

2. Why do employers value respected accreditations?

Employers value respected accreditations because they demonstrate that an individual has acquired a certain level of knowledge, skills, and expertise in a specific area. This can make the individual more desirable and competitive in the job market.

3. How can an individual obtain respected accreditations?

An individual can obtain respected accreditations by completing a certification program or course that is recognized by employers in their field. These programs often involve a combination of education, training, and assessment to ensure that individuals have met the necessary requirements.

4. Are all respected accreditations equal in value?

No, not all respected accreditations are equal in value. Some may be more highly regarded by employers due to their rigorous requirements, reputation, or relevance to a specific industry. It is important to research and understand the value and recognition of a particular accreditation before pursuing it.

5. Can respected accreditations be helpful for career advancement?

Yes, respected accreditations can be very helpful for career advancement. They can demonstrate a commitment to professional development and can provide individuals with the necessary skills and knowledge to take on new roles and responsibilities. Additionally, some employers may offer higher salaries or promotions to individuals who hold certain respected accreditations.