• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Does this graduate engineering degree look good to employers?

• Programs
  • Thread starter cheme84
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I have posted this question in other forums but have not received a clear answer.

I am interesting in pursing a Master's degree in EE or BME. Since I have a BS in ChemE, I don't want to take a trillion undergrad courses before entering the EE or BME master's program. Purdue offers an online degree of Master's of Science in Engineering (MSE) or Master's of Science (MS). Both degrees offer concentration in various department including electrical engineering and biomedical engineering. The MSE degree is preferred for students who have a BS in engineering and want to pursue a Master's in a different engineering field while the MS is preferred for students who have a BS in a field different than engineering. I plan to apply for the MSE with a concentration in EE or BME. I plan to get a job in the biomedical device industry.

What I would like to ask is how does an MSE with an emphasis in EE or BME look to employers rather than an MSEE or MSBME?

https://engineering.purdue.edu/ProEd/credit/mse

Answers and Replies

This is for EE/CS related fields. In other engineering fields, it might matter because of professional certifications

I don't think it's going to matter because

1) Employers won't know and don't care about trivial differences in majors. If you handed me a resume, I'd have no idea how Purdue does its majors, and I really don't care.

2) The degree will just get you to an interview. At the interview, you will be asked questions to assess your technical ability and that's what matters. If the interviewer is looking for a C++ coder and all your experience is in assembly language microcoding, then you aren't going to get the job, but it also works vice versa.

3) What matters more is not the name of the degree but the resources available to it. For example, if (and I don't know that this is a the case), Purdue is able to put people with one type of degree into internships and not another, this will make a big difference. It's not the name of the degree that is important, but if one type of degree will get you some crucial experience and another type won't then that makes a difference.

Engineering is about what you've done and how successful you were (and also, who you know, but you should already know that by now). Now I don't know about the US but in the UK, if it's a masters level degree then that's all that matters.

Thanks for the info guys. I will go ahead and apply.