Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Restoring XP back to yesterday or before.

1. May 19, 2013 #1
    Hi
    My grandson installed something on the computer and it really mess up the computer. It is a XP Pro system. Is there any way to recover the computer to a past date before today?

It boot up after half an hour of self checking, everything is in slow motion. I went into the control panel and can't find what he installed. He said he installed a new Java but I can't find it. I just want to return to this morning!!!

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. May 19, 2013 #3
    Thanks, I'll try the restore tomorrow.

Ha ha, my grandson is 13, so getting a new computer out of him is pretty much out of the question!!!

Thanks

5. May 19, 2013 #4

jedishrfu

Ha ha, How about yardwork or chores?

6. May 19, 2013 #5
    I got in and tried to restore to a later date, the computer went through the whole work but said it cannot restore to the date I chosen. I tried different dates and still it won't work. What should I do.

7. May 19, 2013 #6

rcgldr

Homework Helper

If this is just a Java add-on, it should only be affecting your browser. You can go to your browser (like internet explorer, click on tools, manage add-ons, ..., and disable the add-ons you don't want.

If it's some program being launched at startup, click on start, run, "MSCONFIG", and look for the offending program, usually under services or startup, and uncheck it so it's not run.

8. May 19, 2013 #7

jedishrfu

Not true, there are some malware java downloads that masquerade as java that could do anything to your machine.

9. May 19, 2013 #8

jedishrfu

yungman, did you backup up your important files? make sure you do that.

then try reloading XP from a stock MS disk.

Also note that XP has reached end-of-life so there are no more updates from MS to fix vulnerabilities unless they deem it necessary.

Perhaps this would be a good time to switch to Ubuntu Linux, different but similar to Windows with equivalent applications like OpenOffice for MS Office...

10. May 19, 2013 #9

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

11. May 19, 2013 #10

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did you log on in safe mode before you tried the restore? The restore will probably fail if it tries to delete a program that is already running.

Or, try booting the computer from your Windows CD, and then try System Restore.

Or, run a scan of your antiviirus software.

Or if you don't have any antivirus software, try http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/pc-security/malware-removal.aspx

12. May 19, 2013 #11

jedishrfu

Thanks, I had heard it ended a couple years ago and now I see there is a graded end of life support timeline:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/products/lifecycle

The main stream one was April 2009 which many businesses factored into their plans and then there's the drop dead extended date April 2014 for everyone else.

I think MS was coerced into extending the support due to vulnerabilities and customer migration issues.

Time for Ubuntu Linux.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook