Resulting force of an object with variable movement

In summary: For example, take v = 3.6km/h. What is this in m/s?This speed corresponds to covering 3600m in 3600s. In m/s, this speed is V = distance/time = 3600m/3600s = 1m/s. (There are other ways to convert units, but this method should make what is happening clear.)In terms of simple arithmetic we have divided the speed in km/h by 3.6 to get the speed in m/s.In the given equation v(t) = 9βt⁴, we are (confusingly) told that v is in km/h. So dividing v by 3.6 converts it to m/s
Thietlan
Homework Statement
The movement of a material point of mass 500 mg is described using the following formula: ## v=9 \cdot \beta \cdot t^4 ## ,variable in time and is expressed in km/h. Considering the movement in the context of classical physics, and knowing the constant ## \beta=0.2 m \cdot s^{-5} ## . The resulting force which acts on the object at t=20s is equal to:
## 0.08 kg m \cdot s^{-5} ##
## 8 kg *m \cdot s^{-2} ##
80 N
8 kN
Relevant Equations
## v=9* \beta * t^4 ##
## \beta = 0.2 m*s^{-5} ##
v(20)=288000 m/s=80000km/h
a=(80 000-0)/(20 -0)=4000 m*s^(-2)
F=m*a=0.0005*80 000 which doesn't fit any answers

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

You seem to have assumed constant force and constant acceleration.

PeroK said:
:welcome:

You seem to have assumed constant force and constant acceleration.
Then how should I go about solving it?

Thietlan said:
Then how should I go about solving it?
Treat the acceleration as a function of time.

PeroK said:
Treat the acceleration as a function of time.
Ok I calculate acceleration as the derivative of v which comes out to be ## a=36 \cdot \beta t^3 km/h^2 ## and then simply calculate F= m*a(20) ,still doesn't give the right answer. What else am I missing?

Thietlan said:
Ok I calculate acceleration as the derivative of v which comes out to be ## a=36 \cdot \beta t^3 km/h^2 ## and then simply calculate F= m*a(20) ,still doesn't give the right answer. What else am I missing?
I must be honest, I don't understand the question. It gives ##\beta## in ##m/s##, time in seconds and force in SI units. So, I don't understand the reference to ##km/h##.

A confusingly written question. But you can match one of the answers in the list by proceeding as follows:

v is the velocity in km/h. Let V be the velocity in m/s. That means V = v/3.6 and the given equation becomes:
V(t) = 9βt⁴/3.6 = 9*0.2*t⁴/3.6 = 0.5t⁴

Differentiate V(t) to find a(t) in m/s². The rest is straightforward.

Edit: minor changes

Likes PeroK
Steve4Physics said:
A confusingly written question. But you can match one of the answers in the list by proceeding as follows:

v is the velocity in km/h. Let V be the velocity in m/s. That means V = v/3.6 and the given equation becomes:
V(t) = 9βt⁴/3.6 = 9*0.2*t⁴/3.6 = 0.5t⁴

Differentiate V(t) to find a(t) in m/s². The rest is straightforward.

Edit: minor changes
You did well to work that out. The question, IMO, is the product of a sick mind!

Likes Steve4Physics
PeroK said:
I must be honest, I don't understand the question. It gives ##\beta## in ##m/s##, time in seconds and force in SI units. So, I don't understand the reference to ##km/h##.
Neither did I and yes while dividing by 3.6 gives one of the responses I don't really get why I would need to divide. If it is in km/h then we should be multiplied by 3.6 and if it were in m/s well,in case there is no need to convert.

Thietlan said:
Neither did I and yes while dividing by 3.6 gives one of the responses I don't really get why I would need to divide. If it is in km/h then we should be multiplied by 3.6 and if it were in m/s well,in case there is no need to convert.
For example, take v = 3.6km/h. What is this in m/s?

This speed corresponds to covering 3600m in 3600s. In m/s, this speed is V = distance/time = 3600m/3600s = 1m/s. (There are other ways to convert units, but this method should make what is happening clear.)

In terms of simple arithmetic we have divided the speed in km/h by 3.6 to get the speed in m/s.

In the given equation v(t) = 9βt⁴, we are (confusingly) told that v is in km/h. So dividing v by 3.6 converts it to m/s.

If V is the velocity in m/s: V(t) = v(t)/3.6 = 9βt⁴/3.6

And from that point on, using V(t), we are working entirely in SI units.

Likes PeroK

1. What is the resulting force of an object with variable movement?

The resulting force of an object with variable movement is the overall force acting on the object, taking into account all the individual forces acting on it. This can be calculated by using the principles of Newton's laws of motion.

2. How is the resulting force calculated?

The resulting force can be calculated by adding together all the individual forces acting on the object. If the forces are acting in the same direction, they can simply be added together. If they are acting in opposite directions, they can be subtracted from one another.

3. What factors affect the resulting force of an object with variable movement?

The resulting force of an object with variable movement is affected by the magnitude and direction of the individual forces acting on the object, as well as the mass and acceleration of the object itself.

4. How does the resulting force affect an object's movement?

The resulting force determines the acceleration of an object. If the resulting force is zero, the object will remain at a constant velocity. If the resulting force is non-zero, the object will accelerate in the direction of the force.

5. Can the resulting force of an object change over time?

Yes, the resulting force of an object can change over time if the individual forces acting on the object change. This can happen if the object's velocity or direction of motion changes, or if new forces are introduced.