Retake PGRE for 2nd time admission to grad school?

In summary, the individual is seeking advice from anyone who has sat on grad school admissions committees. They are reapplying to grad school after leaving their previous institution due to personal issues. They are concerned about how their previous struggles may affect their application and are considering retaking the physics GRE to show their determination and focus. They are also seeking advice on other ways to demonstrate their abilities and are looking for smaller schools with a focus on teaching experience. They have already received some advice from someone on the forums and are considering applying to Bryn Mawr College. The deadline for applications was January 2nd.
Polluxy
Hi there,

If any people who have sat on grad school admissions committees are lurking out there, I would love to hear your opinion on this:

I'm reapplying to grad school for next fall after I took my Masters and left at another institution. I made a right mess of things there; was going through a long period of depression for other reasons, I essentially lost every ounce of motivation I had. But I haven't been soured on physics or grad school, I know the causes of my failings and I'm determined to fix them. So I'm teaching intro physics at another Uni right now and preparing my applications.

Here's the thing: I did really well in undergrad. 4.0, 3 REUs, a bunch of presentations and a couple publications, stellar letters of recommendation and I won the Goldwater scholarship. I didn't have a problem getting into a top-tier physics grad school with a fellowship the first time around. But now, with a two-year black mark, I'm not sure how I can show the admissions committees that my undergrad is more representative of the work I am capable of, that I have worked past the issues I had during grad school. Of course I have my personal statement to elaborate, but those are just words, I'd really like to be able to hand them something concrete.

So I'm toying with the idea of retaking the physics GRE. The first time around I did alright, but not great. My thinking is that a marked improvement might show an admissions committee that I have the focus and discipline it requires to prepare for it. But then of course there's the argument that the PGRE is basically useless and has no correlation to how well you do in grad school, and some people might wonder why I'd feel the need to take it again after two years of graduate courses. So I'm not sure if it will look like a childish attempt to focus on the wrong things, or whether it could help my application package.

What do you think? Are there better, concrete ways of demonstrating my ability?

Thanks for any advice,
Pollux

Physics news on Phys.org
Polluxy said:
So I'm not sure if it will look like a childish attempt to focus on the wrong things

This.

What you need is a letter from someone at your old institution that says that you can handle graduate school. Otherwise, all they have is evidence that you can't.

I would also suggest applying to a lot of schools. Perhaps 15 or even 20. Your best shot is if the class size is shaping up to be small, they may be more willing to take a risk on you.

Thanks. I've lurked on these boards for a long time...if memory serves, you have served on a few admissions committees?

I'll definitely have three or four solid letters from my old institution - it's actually where I'm teaching at the moment. I'm looking at applying to a lot of schools, but it's proving more difficult to make my list this time around. After experience at a big, R1 institution, I know that's not what I want. I'm looking for small-ish to medium departments, with emphasis on gaining teaching experience (I'd like to teach undergrad-level physics afterwards), with a decent reputation in research but not the "publish-or-perish" mentality, and a solid track record of grads who've gone on to teach. So far the only school definitely on my list is College of William and Mary. I'm looking into Boulder and University of Arizona. Can you suggest any others?

Hello! I wish I saw your post a bit sooner. Bryn Mawr College is a small LAC that has a grad program. It does fit this description you have "I''m looking for small-ish to medium departments, with emphasis on gaining teaching experience (I'd like to teach undergrad-level physics afterwards), with a decent reputation in research but not the "publish-or-perish" mentality, and a solid track record of grads who've gone on to teach."

Since it is small, research areas are VERY specialized but check it out if you like.

However, the deadline was yesterday! Jan 02

1. Why should I retake the PGRE for second time admission to grad school?

Retaking the PGRE for second time admission to grad school can improve your score and make you a more competitive candidate for admission to top graduate programs. It also shows your dedication and determination to succeed in your field of study.

2. How much time should I wait before retaking the PGRE for second time admission to grad school?

It is recommended to wait at least 3-4 months before retaking the PGRE for second time admission to grad school. This will give you enough time to study and prepare for the exam again.

3. Will my previous PGRE score be reported if I retake the exam for second time admission to grad school?

Yes, all your PGRE scores, including your previous score, will be reported to the schools you are applying to. However, most schools will consider your highest score when evaluating your application.

4. How can I improve my score when retaking the PGRE for second time admission to grad school?

To improve your score, you should first identify your weaknesses and focus on studying those areas. You can also take practice tests and review your mistakes to better understand the types of questions and concepts that you struggle with. Additionally, seek guidance from a tutor or join a study group to get personalized help and support.

5. Will retaking the PGRE multiple times hurt my chances of getting into grad school?

No, retaking the PGRE multiple times will not hurt your chances of getting into grad school. In fact, most schools will only consider your highest score and understand that it takes time and effort to improve your score. However, it is important to show improvement in your scores each time you retake the exam.