Retrieve a MIG-15: Royal Navy Mission in Korea 1952

  • Thread starter Thread starter saddlestone-man
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
saddlestone-man
Messages
80
Reaction score
20
TL;DR
Use of the Nene engine in the MIG-15
Hello All

I've included here a small piece from Meccano Magazine for November 1952, describing the recovery of a crashed MIG-15 in Korea. Certainly a dangerous mission and I like the way the MIG was dismantled "with hand grenades"!

Interestingly the text is full of praise for the aircraft, and apparently free of anti-Communist propaganda.

Was it when the previous MIG-15, retrieved by the Royal Navy, was inspected that the use of a Nene-clone was discovered?

best regards ... Stef
 
Attachments
  • MIG-15 Recovery.jpg
    MIG-15 Recovery.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 226
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jedishrfu and Lnewqban
Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
How does one dismantle anything with hand grenades?

Afterwards they are certainly no longer mantled.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: jedishrfu
@Vanadium 50 the reference of dismantling was from the posted news article where it said they dismantled a MIG for transport using hand grenades.

It would seem that doing that would have destroyed most if not all of the plane so I was wondering if the OP knew more about it.
 
I know no more about this dismantling than what's shown in the article. Since this was done on enemy territory, they were in a hurry and so some form of explosive did the trick quickly.

I recall the defection of Viktor Belenko in 1976 who flew his MIG-25 to Japan from Vladivostok. In that incident, the American technicians felt it was necessary to take the plane to pieces (presumably NOT using hand grenades) so that it could be carefully packed into 40 crates for safe return to the Russians.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jedishrfu