1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Returning to gradschool after quitting

1. Apr 18, 2012 #1
    A few years ago, I left a phd program with my masters for personal reasons, as well as being fed up with a professor who ignored me and a bit burnt out on the non-stop teaching/studying/research going nowhere. I do not regret for one second that I quit, because I know neither my long -distance marrage nor my sanity would have survived it. I now have a good job as a military contract scientist, and my boss feels that I could earn my PhD with some of the research we are doing (not secret) if we could find a university willing to take on a non-traditional student. I don't know how to broach the subject of my leaving grad school though. Should I put it in my SOP? And if I do, how do I phrase it so I don't sound like a whiny quitter? If I don't, they are sure to ask during the interview. How do I answer them? I appreciate any advice anyone might have.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2012 #2
    Would the military be funding you?

4. Apr 18, 2012 #3
    Yes, it most likely will be government research grant funded.

5. Apr 18, 2012 #4
    So first off, that helps a ton.

Now, in my unqualified opinion, I would say just explain it as is. You quit in the past, you need to show them you won't quit now. If you are not planning on quitting again, explain why this time will be different.

6. Apr 18, 2012 #5

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

opaka,

Doesn't your workplace have connections with the local universities?

That is the first place. I would imagine they know the professors of the local universities, and thus may be able for you to attend them, and work on your work research.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook