Returning to gradschool after quitting

• Thread starter opaka
  • Start date
In summary, A few years ago, the person left a PhD program for personal reasons and due to feeling ignored and burned out. They do not regret quitting as it was necessary for their marriage and sanity. They now have a good job as a military contract scientist and their boss thinks they could earn their PhD through their current research if they can find a university willing to accept a non-traditional student. The person is unsure how to bring up their past experience of leaving grad school in their statement of purpose (SOP) and how to address it during an interview. They are also unsure if the military will fund their studies. The advice given is to explain the past situation honestly and show a commitment to not quitting again. They are also encouraged to
opaka
A few years ago, I left a phd program with my masters for personal reasons, as well as being fed up with a professor who ignored me and a bit burnt out on the non-stop teaching/studying/research going nowhere. I do not regret for one second that I quit, because I know neither my long -distance marrage nor my sanity would have survived it. I now have a good job as a military contract scientist, and my boss feels that I could earn my PhD with some of the research we are doing (not secret) if we could find a university willing to take on a non-traditional student. I don't know how to broach the subject of my leaving grad school though. Should I put it in my SOP? And if I do, how do I phrase it so I don't sound like a whiny quitter? If I don't, they are sure to ask during the interview. How do I answer them? I appreciate any advice anyone might have.

Physics news on Phys.org
Would the military be funding you?

Yes, it most likely will be government research grant funded.

So first off, that helps a ton.

Now, in my unqualified opinion, I would say just explain it as is. You quit in the past, you need to show them you won't quit now. If you are not planning on quitting again, explain why this time will be different.

opaka,

Doesn't your workplace have connections with the local universities?

That is the first place. I would imagine they know the professors of the local universities, and thus may be able for you to attend them, and work on your work research.

What are the benefits of returning to grad school after quitting?

Returning to grad school after quitting can have several benefits, such as gaining additional knowledge and skills, improving career prospects, and increasing earning potential. It can also provide a sense of personal fulfillment and satisfaction.

Will my previous credits and coursework still be valid?

This will depend on the specific institution and program you are returning to. Some schools may allow you to transfer credits, while others may require you to retake courses or demonstrate proficiency in the subject matter. It is important to speak with an advisor at your chosen school to determine the transferability of your previous coursework.

How can I balance work and school while returning to grad school?

Returning to grad school while working can be challenging, but it is not impossible. It is important to create a schedule and prioritize your time effectively. This may involve reducing your work hours, utilizing flexible work options, or seeking support from family and friends. It is also important to communicate with your employer and professors to ensure they are aware of your commitments and can provide any necessary accommodations.

What resources are available to help me succeed in grad school?

Most universities offer a variety of resources to support students, including academic advising, tutoring services, and counseling. It is important to take advantage of these resources and communicate with your professors and advisor if you are struggling. Additionally, forming study groups with other students can also be beneficial.

How can I make the most out of my return to grad school?

To make the most out of your return to grad school, it is important to set clear goals and stay motivated. This may involve creating a study plan, seeking out research opportunities, and networking with professors and peers in your field. It is also important to maintain a healthy work-life balance and take care of your mental and physical well-being.