Revenge is a dish best served cold

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cold
In summary, this guy ruined so many peoples lives (mostly older people's life savings who lost it all), that I could care less about his death. I think his family should get the assets that he stole from them.
Cyrus
Well, read the paper today. Ken Lay died of a heart attack.

This guy ruined so many peoples lives (mostly older people's life savings who lost it all), that I could care less about his death.

_41851408_lay2203ap.jpg

The way I see it, he saved the people he screwed from loosing more of their money to house him in a country club jail cell for the rest of his life.

Judge me as you wish, that's my view.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what you are talking about is really not revenge.

Revenge is being an active participant or affiliated with such participants in some form or retaliation against someone.

Surely you have nothing to do with his death, hence how could you possibly call this revenge?

"I don't fear jail because I know I'm not guilty. I know I did nothing wrong. I did nothing criminal and I also believe my God will get me through this."
-Kenneth Lay

Gotta love God's sense of humor sometimes.:wink: :biggrin:

MeJennifer said:
Well, what you are talking about is really not revenge.

Revenge is being an active participant or affiliated with such participants in some form or retaliation against someone.

Surely you have nothing to do with his death, hence how could you possibly call this revenge?

Revenge from a higher power. :smile:

(Yea, yea I know its not really revenge. I just wanted a catchy title.)

Math Is Hard said:
"I don't fear jail because I know I'm not guilty. I know I did nothing wrong. I did nothing criminal and I also believe my God will get me through this."
-Kenneth Lay

Gotta love God's sense of humor sometimes.:wink: :biggrin:

:rofl: Nice one.

http://www.larryflynt.com/ad_parodies_gallery/image/ken-lay-parody.jpg

Speaks for itself. :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see what dishes have to do with this?

It's called Kharma, and it bit him right square in the arse.

Once again I get to say good riddance to bad rubbish.

Unfortunately, I assume his family inherits his ill-gotten gains.
They should be stripped of it, IMHO.

arildno said:
That is a very good point. I wonder if the civil suits (you know they're going to happen)will target his survivng family. They should start by taking the vacation home in Aspen (or wherever it is in CO). I think it adds to the irony that he died while at his multi-million dollar vacation home.

arildno said:
Yeah, unfortunately, I heard on the news this morning that because the criminal trial was still in progress, so no conviction, it just gets dropped, and all the assets that were held to potentially pay punitive damages will likely be released back to the estate. I was hoping the estate would be seized and redistributed to those he cheated out of their life savings.

Moonbear said:
Yeah, unfortunately, I heard on the news this morning that because the criminal trial was still in progress, so no conviction, it just gets dropped, and all the assets that were held to potentially pay punitive damages will likely be released back to the estate. I was hoping the estate would be seized and redistributed to those he cheated out of their life savings.

A new civil suit will probably be brought up to go after the estate.

Lets put this in that death penalty thread and see if someone will make a genetic or 'mentally ill' excuse for him :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Moonbear said:
Actually, Lay was convicted, but was awaiting sentence. However the case will most likely be 'vacated', i.e. dropped because now Lay is no longer alive to 'defend' himself.

The civil cases against Lay now have to be refiled against Lay's estate, but with a vacated criminal case against Lay, it would be difficult to proceed with a civil trial. Lay's wife would presumably inherit his estate and any 'ill-gotten' gains.

On the other hand, the Justice Department can proceed with a civil trial against Lay's estate, if it so choses.

Lay's Death May Lead Court to Toss Case
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5539129

Marketplace Report: Civil Suits Against Ken Lay
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5538260

Lets put this in that death penalty thread and see if someone will make a genetic or 'mentally ill' excuse for him :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Better still, merge it with this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=117709&page=3

Astronuc, 64 is probably within the first or at most, second standard deviation from the mean life expectancy for males in this country, 75.

Moonbear said:
That's surprising. He was already convicted - only the sentencing phase was incomplete. Here it is, though:
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/energy/2006-07-06-parsons-lay-usat_x.htm

arildno said:

Better that than the governement getting it, they'd probably only waste it anyway:tongue2: :biggrin:

as far as I'm concerned about revenge, only gazpacho soup is a dish best served cold and even then I'd ask them to warm it up, just to make sure.:wink:

I remember reading somewhere that powerful business men tend to show more often the same sorts of psychological traits as psychopaths, not that they were mentally ill, just that they had learned to have no empathy for other people and did not often consider morality in anything they did. It's hardly surprising though that the most ruthless get to the top is it?

Gokul43201 said:
Astronuc, 64 is probably within the first or at most, second standard deviation from the mean life expectancy for males in this country, 75.
'Tis true. But that includes the population at large, and there are many health problems related to diet and poverty, which affect the average. There are so many factors related to genetic predisposition and lifestyle.

My parents are in their mid 70's, on the other hand my youngest brother died at 34 (way too early), and I just learned an associated, who was in his early 50's, died of cancer a couple of years ago. I just attended a funeral of a former colleague who died at age 72 of complications from lung cancer and the treatment. I know of several people (mostly men) in their 40's and 50's who died from heart attacks or cancer.

I still think 64 is too young to die.

What does the phrase "Revenge is a dish best served cold" mean?

The phrase means that it is better to wait and plan carefully before taking revenge, rather than acting impulsively and emotionally. The idea is that revenge is more satisfying when it is served cold, or when it is executed with a clear and calculated mind.

Where did the phrase "Revenge is a dish best served cold" originate from?

The phrase is believed to have originated from a French novel, "Les Liaisons Dangereuses" by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos, published in 1782. However, the concept of waiting for the right time to take revenge has been present in many cultures and literature throughout history.

Can revenge actually provide closure or satisfaction?

While revenge may provide temporary satisfaction, it often leads to a cycle of retaliation and further harm. In the end, it rarely brings true closure or peace. It is important to find healthier ways to deal with hurt and anger.

Is it ever justified to seek revenge?

Seeking revenge is a personal decision and can depend on the situation. However, it is important to consider the potential consequences and whether it aligns with your values and morals. It may be more beneficial to focus on forgiveness and moving on.

How can one break the cycle of revenge?

The best way to break the cycle of revenge is to choose forgiveness and find healthier ways to cope with negative emotions. It may also be helpful to communicate openly and address the root cause of the conflict. Seeking professional help can also provide valuable support in breaking the cycle of revenge.