Reversing angular and linear formulas to find rpm.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the number of revolutions per minute of a tornado's core, given its diameter and maximum wind speed. The equation V=r(omega) is used to find the angular frequency, which is then converted to frequency in units of 1/minutes. The final answer is approximately 33.6 rpm.
jrjack

Homework Statement

A simple model of the core of a tornado is a right circular cylinder that rotates about its axis. If a tornado has a core diameter of 200 feet and maximum wind speed of 240 mi/hr (or 352 ft/sec) at the perimeter of the core, approximate the number of revolutions the core makes each minute. (Round your answer to one decimal place.)

Homework Equations

s=r(theta) and V=r(omega)

The Attempt at a Solution

The practice problems had a radius and rpm given and I could find the angular and linear speeds, where I'm struggling is I'm not sure how to reverse the example in order to convert the speed and radius into rpm.

V=r(omega) then (omega)=V/r ?is that right? then when I plug the numbers:
omega=(352ft/sec)/(100ft/rad)...shoud I multipy the reciprocal being (1rad/100ft)
then get: omega=3.52rad/sec...
somewhere I'm sure pi has to come in, 2pi=1rpm...so do I multiply by 1/2pi ? this is where I'm getting lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
omega=3.52rad/sec is correct.
Now you must remember what the definition of omega is - it is the angular frequency, and it is given by the equation:
[tex] \omega = 2 \pi f [/tex]
(where f is frequency). So using this you can calculate the frequency in units of 1/seconds. Then, the question asks for it in units of 1/minutes, so you do the unit conversion to get that.

It looks like my latex isn't working, but you can see what the equaton is anyway.

just to make sure: omega = 2pi times f

so 3.52rad/sec times 1/2pi rev/rad = 3.52rev/2pi sec
then times 60= 211.2 rev/ 2pi min
which rounds to: 33.613 or to 1 decimal place of 33.6 rpm

edit: I fat-fingered my calculator and got the wrong answer the first time.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

1. How do you reverse an angular formula to find rpm?

To reverse an angular formula to find rpm, you need to first understand the formula itself. The formula for angular velocity is ω = θ/t, where ω is the angular velocity in radians per second, θ is the angular displacement in radians, and t is the time in seconds. To find rpm, you need to convert the angular velocity from radians per second to revolutions per minute (rpm) by multiplying it by 60.

2. Can you provide an example of reversing an angular formula to find rpm?

Sure, let's say you have a rotating object with an angular displacement of 3 radians and a time of 5 seconds. The angular velocity would be calculated as ω = 3/5 = 0.6 radians per second. To find rpm, you would multiply this value by 60, resulting in an rpm of 36.

3. How do you reverse a linear formula to find rpm?

Reversing a linear formula to find rpm involves understanding the relationship between linear and angular velocity. Linear velocity is equal to the radius of the rotating object multiplied by the angular velocity. So to find rpm, you would need to divide the linear velocity by the radius and then convert the angular velocity from radians per second to rpm by multiplying it by 60.

4. What is the difference between angular and linear velocity?

Angular velocity measures the rate at which an object rotates or travels in a circular path, while linear velocity measures the rate at which an object moves in a straight line. While angular velocity is measured in radians per second, linear velocity is measured in meters per second or feet per second.

5. Can you use the same formula to reverse both angular and linear velocity to find rpm?

Yes, the same formula of multiplying the angular velocity by 60 can be used to convert both angular and linear velocity to rpm. However, you would need to make sure to use the correct units for each velocity (radians per second for angular velocity and meters per second for linear velocity) before converting to rpm.