Angular and Linear Speed....Part 2

In summary, the Earth has a radius of 3,960 miles and rotates 1 revolution per 24 hours. The angular speed is approximately 0.000073 radians/sec. The linear speed at the equator is approximately 2,149,754,150 miles/hour. The formula used to calculate the angular speed is w = θ/t and for the linear speed is v = wr.
mathdad
Assume that the Earth is a sphere with a radius of 3,960 miles and a rotation of 1 revolution per 24 hours.

A. Find the angular speed. Express your answer in units of radians/sec, and round to two significant digits.

B. Find the linear speed of a point on the equator. Express the answer in units of miles per hour, and round to the nearest 10 mph.

Part A

I decided to convert 24 hours to seconds and found that to be 86,400 seconds. The reason is, I thought, because the answer must be written in radians/sec.

I then needed to use w = θ/r but not before finding θ.

θ = (86,400 seconds)(2 pi radians).

θ = 172,800 pi radians

w = 172,800 pi radians/sec.

w is about 542,867.21054031 radians/sec.

I rounded to two significant digits.

My answer for Part A is w is approximately 540,000 radians/sec.

Book's answer is 0.000073 radians/sec.

Part B

Since the radius of Earth is given to be 3,960 miles,
I doubled the radius of Earth to get the equator.

Let E = equator length

Equator = 2r

E = 2(3,960 miles)

E = 7,920 miles.

In Part A above, I found θ to be 172,800 pi radians.

I next decided to find s, the arc length. At this point, I am convinced that s = d in the linear speed equation v = d/t.

s = (172,800 pi radians)(radius of earth)

s = 684,288,000 pi miles = d.

The numbers here look very out of touch with reality.

The linear speed formula is v = d/t.

So, v = 684,288,000 pi miles/hour.

v is about 2,149,754,153.7396 miles/hour.

Again, the numbers just did not look right but I decided to confidently proceed.

I then rounded to the nearest 10 mpr.

My answer for Part B is v is approximately 2,149,754,150 miles/hour.

Book's answer is 1040 mph.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let's first look at part A. We are asked for $\omega$, given by:

\(\displaystyle \omega=\frac{\theta}{t}\)

Now, we know the Earth makes 1 revolution per day, so:

\(\displaystyle \omega=\frac{1\text{ rev}}{1\text{ day}}\cdot\frac{2\pi\text{ rad}}{1\text{ rev}}\cdot\frac{1\text{ day}}{86400\text{ s}}=\frac{\pi}{43200}\,\frac{\text{rad}}{\text{s}}\approx0.000073\,\frac{\text{rad}}{\text{s}}\)

Now, for part B., we want the linear speed at the equator, so we use:

\(\displaystyle v=\omega r\)

We have $\omega$, and $r$ is simply the radius of the Earth. What do you get?

For Part A, you included 1 day/86,400 seconds. I understand why you did that but, can we also write the fraction as 24 hours/86,400 seconds and get the same result?

Part B

v = wr

v = (0.000073 rad/sec)(3,960 miles)

Is this the correct equation set up?

I noticed that you decided to use v = wr instead of v = d/t, which is also given in Section 6.1 as the linear speed formula. Why did you decide to use v = wr and not v = d/t?

RTCNTC said:
For Part A, you included 1 day/86,400 seconds. I understand why you did that but, can we also write the fraction as 24 hours/86,400 seconds and get the same result?

Yes, since 1 day = 24 hours, that would be equivalent.

RTCNTC said:
Part B

v = wr

v = (0.000073 rad/sec)(3,960 miles)

Is this the correct equation set up?

I noticed that you decided to use v = wr instead of v = d/t, which is also given in Section 6.1 as the linear speed formula. Why did you decide to use v = wr and not v = d/t?

Personally, I wouldn't use the rounded value for $\omega$, I would use the exact value, and then round the result.

Since we have already computed $\omega$ and are given $r$, it seemed straightforward to use $v=\omega r$. Of course, you could get the same result using the other formula.

Mark FL:

Can you show me how to get the same answer using the formula v = d/t?

This is funny. I did all that work leading no where, and you got the answer in 2 or 3 steps. You are a mathematician. If I understood math at your level, I certainly would have a better job.

BTW, you are not wasting time with me. I actually do apply everything you teach me to other similar questions. I just love this course. I love David Cohen. Wish I could express to him how much this book means to me. 😊

RTCNTC said:
Mark FL:

Can you show me how to get the same answer using the formula v = d/t?

The distance traveled is the circumference of the equator, and the time taken to travel that distance is 24 hours (I use hours because the questions asks for the speed in miles per hour).

\(\displaystyle v=\frac{d}{t}=\frac{2\pi r}{t}=\frac{2\pi(3690\text{ mi})}{24\text{ hr}}=\frac{615\pi}{2}\text{ mph}\)

Now, let's look at:

\(\displaystyle v=\frac{2\pi r}{t}=\frac{2\pi}{t}r=\frac{\theta}{t}r=\omega r\)

Very interesting. I will move on to Section 6.2. I will post questions and my solution from Section 6.2 as needed.

1. What is the difference between angular speed and linear speed?

Angular speed is the measure of how fast an object rotates or revolves around a fixed point, while linear speed is the measure of how fast an object moves along a straight path.

2. How are angular speed and linear speed related?

Angular speed and linear speed are related by the radius of the circle or distance from the fixed point. Angular speed is equal to linear speed divided by the radius.

3. Can angular speed and linear speed be converted into each other?

Yes, angular speed and linear speed can be converted into each other as long as the radius is known. Angular speed can be converted to linear speed by multiplying it by the radius, and linear speed can be converted to angular speed by dividing it by the radius.

4. How are angular speed and tangential speed related?

Tangential speed is the linear speed of an object moving along a circular path. It is related to angular speed by the formula tangential speed = angular speed x radius. This means that as the angular speed increases, the tangential speed also increases.

5. How is angular speed measured?

Angular speed is measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s). It can also be measured in revolutions per minute (rpm) or revolutions per second (rps).