Revised Field Equations for GR Explain Dark Energy and Dark Matter

Citations are for bringing to the readers' attention supporting work that they might otherwise be unaware of, for supporting unusual claims of fact, and for demonstrating reasonable familiarity with the state of the art. If, as I expect, you are referring to the 1905 "On the electrodynamics of moving bodies" Einstein started from a base of generally accepted science that was already completely familiar to his intended audience. .
His finalized paper on General Relativity had very few references too, and while Riemann geometry is currently widely known by physicists it wasn't then. Indeed Einstein did not know it until a friend taught it to him.

Einstein did not even cite Riemann!

I think if you were to look at Einstein's papers you would find that he just did not cite many references...the "sure sign" according to certain people, that he was a kook.

Also, you gave two reasons for citations--First that citations provide valuable information, and second that they demonstrate that the author demonstrates reasonable familiarity with the field. I find your second reason to be very troubling.

I have read a good number histories of the period and Einstein biographies; it is now thoroughly established that Einstein was familiar with current developments in physics.
Yet he did not know about the Michaelson Morley experiment???

PAllen

Science Advisor
Yet he did not know about the Michaelson Morley experiment???
That is actually disputed, and Einstein gave conflicting accounts of that over the years.

That is actually disputed, and Einstein gave conflicting accounts of that over the years.
Well, you are claiming that Einstein might have not known about the Michaelson Morley experiment.... yet you were stating as an established fact that he was very up-to-date on current physics.

PAllen

Science Advisor
Well, you are claiming that Einstein might have not known about the Michaelson Morley experiment.... yet you were stating as an established fact that he was very up-to-date on current physics.
I did not say 'very up to date'. I said generally up to date and not isolated. I do not find it impossible that he was generally up to date and had not heard of the MM experiment - my recollection is that there is no clear evidence to resolve this. The mythology around Einstein ignores his role at Annalen der Physik, his having recently completed all of doctoral coursework, and his own documentation of such things as reading Poincare's 1902 book on issues related to those he covered in his 1905 paper.

interesting paper
Mon. Not. R. Astron. Soc. 000, 1–19 (2012)
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1209.2125v1.pdf

...It is clear that, if the ΛCDM model is the true underlying model of cosmology, the significance of the ISW effect will remain lower than some other cosmological probes; however, it represents nonetheless a unique signal which allows us to independently confirm the presence of dark energy through its impact on structure growth and potentially detect deviations in how gravity works to build cosmic structures...

-----
"This work also tells us about possible modifications to Einstein's theory of General Relativity"
said Tommaso Giannantonio.

Last edited:

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
interesting paper
Mon. Not. R. Astron. Soc. 000, 1–19 (2012)
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1209.2125v1.pdf

...It is clear that, if the ΛCDM model is the true underlying model of cosmology, the significance of the ISW effect will remain lower than some other cosmological probes; however, it represents nonetheless a unique signal which allows us to independently confirm the presence of dark energy through its impact on structure growth and potentially detect deviations in how gravity works to build cosmic structures...
Does this relate somehow to the topic of this thread? If not, then it would be better to discuss it in a separate thread.