1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rewriting a function with y as the independent variable

1. Aug 18, 2010 #1
    Ok. Sooo. Let's say u have y=x+5. Then u know y-5=x. Now if u have y=x^2 - x. How would u rearrange it to find out what x equals. I found out that in general I cannot rearrange ewquatioms with mitiplr x variables with different exponents. So help me plz

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2010 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

It's just a quadratic in x where you treat y as a constant.
    [tex]y=x^2-x[/tex]

[tex]x^2-x-y=0[/tex]

4. Aug 18, 2010 #3
    I am not trying to find the x-intercept. I need the function to have x as the dependent variable and y as the independent variable for ex. If y=sqr(25-x) then y^2 - 25 = -x

5. Aug 18, 2010 #4

Mute

Homework Helper

Mentallic is pointing out that you have a quadratic equation of the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0. Solve the quadratic equation and you will get x in terms of y. (But there will be more than one solution as y = x^2 -x is not a 1 to 1 function).

Also, although you can do it in this case, note that you can't always explicitly solve for x in terms of y. For example, y = x + sin(x).

6. Aug 18, 2010 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Yep Mute's got it :tongue:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook