Rewriting Expression w/Log Laws: x^10*sqrt((y^19)/(z^7))

  • Thread starter Thread starter 3.141592654
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Expression Laws
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 11K views
3.141592654
Messages
85
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Use the Laws of logarithms to rewrite the expression in a form with no logarithm of a product, quotient or power.
ln (x^10*sqrt((y^19)/(z^7))) = a ln(x)+b ln(y)+c ln(z)


Homework Equations



ln (x^a)=a ln(x)

The Attempt at a Solution



I know that it will start =10 ln(x), but I don't know what the square root implies. To specify, if I had the equation ln(sqrt(xy)), I thought the answer would be ln(x)+2 ln(y), but this isn't the case. Can anyone explain what happens to the square root when rewriting this expression? Thanks for your help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Taking the square root of a quantity is the same as raising that quantity to the 1/2th power. In other words, the square root is interchangeably just an exponent of 1/2.

- Warren
 
3.141592654 said:

Homework Statement



Use the Laws of logarithms to rewrite the expression in a form with no logarithm of a product, quotient or power.
ln (x^10*sqrt((y^19)/(z^7))) = a ln(x)+b ln(y)+c ln(z)


Homework Equations



ln (x^a)=a ln(x)
Another very relevant equation for this problem is ln(ab)= ln(a)+ ln(b).

The Attempt at a Solution



I know that it will start =10 ln(x), but I don't know what the square root implies. To specify, if I had the equation ln(sqrt(xy)), I thought the answer would be ln(x)+2 ln(y), but this isn't the case. Can anyone explain what happens to the square root when rewriting this expression? Thanks for your help!
As chroot told you sqrt is "1/2" power. Notice that even if you had 2nd power, you would NOT have ln((xy)2)= ln(x)+ 2 ln(y). ln((xy)[2= 2ln(xy)= 2[ln(x)+ ln(y)]= 2ln(x)+ 2ln(y).

Now, ln(sqrt(xy))= ln((xy)1/2)= what?
 
thanks for your help, both of you, I was able to figure out the problem with this!
Halls of Ivy,
ln(sqrt(xy))= ln((xy)1/2)= 1/2ln(xy)= 1/2ln(x)+ 1/2ln(y)