RIAA and ISPs to police your traffic starting later this year

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hobin
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Year
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't download anything illegal, so it doesn't affect me.

I also updated your thread title to reflect the correction they added to the bottom of the article, it's not starting July 12.
 
Evo said:
I don't download anything illegal, so it doesn't affect me.
It doesn't you bother that people are policing your traffic? That's absolutely fine, of course, but it doesn't sit particularly well with me.

Evo said:
I also updated your thread title to reflect the correction they added to the bottom of the article, it's not starting July 12.
Thanks! I hadn't yet noticed the update myself.
 
Hobin said:
It doesn't you bother that people are policing your traffic? That's absolutely fine, of course, but it doesn't sit particularly well with me.
I thought the article said they intend to police the large illegal peer to peer and bit torrent sites. If they find you downloading illegal material from one of these monitored sites, you will get a notice saying the activity is illegal.

ISP's are not going to be monitoring their end users unless they have been reported for illegal activity.
 
And with that step copyright infringement stopped forever and the world's economy was prosperous again...

I'm not surprised that the ISPs listed are also big players in cable. (Plus, AT&T already has the monitoring infrastructure that sends everything to the ███, so all they have to do is add another recipient! :wink:)
 
Sounds like a slipperly slope down to orwellville to me.