Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RIAA and ISPs to police your traffic starting later this year

1. Mar 16, 2012 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2012 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I don't download anything illegal, so it doesn't affect me.

I also updated your thread title to reflect the correction they added to the bottom of the article, it's not starting July 12.

4. Mar 16, 2012 #3
    It doesn't you bother that people are policing your traffic? That's absolutely fine, of course, but it doesn't sit particularly well with me.

Thanks! I hadn't yet noticed the update myself.

5. Mar 16, 2012 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I thought the article said they intend to police the large illegal peer to peer and bit torrent sites. If they find you downloading illegal material from one of these monitored sites, you will get a notice saying the activity is illegal.

ISP's are not going to be monitoring their end users unless they have been reported for illegal activity.

6. Mar 16, 2012 #5

jhae2.718

Gold Member

And with that step copyright infringement stopped forever and the world's economy was prosperous again...

I'm not surprised that the ISPs listed are also big players in cable. (Plus, AT&T already has the monitoring infrastructure that sends everything to the ███, so all they have to do is add another recipient! :wink:)

7. Mar 16, 2012 #6
  8. Mar 18, 2012 #7
    Sounds like good news for centurylink.

9. Mar 19, 2012 #8
    Sounds like a slipperly slope down to orwellville to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook