1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ridiculous Question (Derivatives)

1. Aug 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Under what conditions may I change temporal and spatial derivatives? I cannot remember for the life of me.

EG:
    [tex]\frac{\partial }{\partial t}\left( \nabla \cdot \mathbf{A} \right) = \nabla \cdot \left( \frac{\partial \mathbf{A}}{\partial t}\right)[/tex]

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2009 #2
    partial derivative? Any time you want, I think.

4. Aug 14, 2009 #3
    That's what I thought, too, but I was unsure. Trying to de-rust, here, heh.

5. Aug 14, 2009 #4
    Go back to the definition of the divergence, so that your equation contains terms like

[tex] \frac {\partial } {\partial t} \frac {\partial } {\partial x} \mathbf{A}_x \right) \ . [/tex]

While x and t are independent variables,

[tex] \frac {\partial } {\partial t} \frac {\partial } {\partial x} = \frac {\partial } {\partial x} \frac {\partial } {\partial t} \ .[/tex]

6. Aug 14, 2009 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This works for gradient and curl too, by the way. It's basically a matter of

∂²A/∂x∂t = ∂²A/∂t∂x

and similarly for y and z.

7. Aug 14, 2009 #6
    Could you use this to show that electric and magnetic fields don't move in space?

8. Aug 14, 2009 #7

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hmmm, not sure I understand your question ... E-M fields can and do move through space.

9. Aug 14, 2009 #8
    The value of the fields change over time for any given coordinate, but the fields are not considered moving objects. The field is attached to a coordinate. A propagating electromagnetic wave is like a sound wave. The wave moves, the molecules stay (nominally) in place. I may be confused about the math, though.

10. Aug 14, 2009 #9

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay. Well, if you're going to say by definition that the fields don't move through space, not sure why you'd need a proof of that.

Or even if you're not saying this is by definition, I don't see how my earlier statement in post #5 could be used to prove it. That statement is a basic consequence of multivariable calculus.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook