Work done during quasi-static, isothermal expansion from P_i to P_f

zenterix
Homework Statement
(a) Show that the work done by an ideal gas during the quasi-static, isothermal expansion from an initial pressure ##P_i## to a final pressure ##P_f## is given by

$$W=nRT\ln\frac{P_f}{P_i}$$

(b) Calculate the work done when the pressure of 1 mol of an ideal gas is decreased quasi-statically from 20 to 1 atm, the temperature remaining constant at ##20^{\circ} C## (##R=8.31 J/mol\cdot deg##).
Relevant Equations
##W=-\int_{V_i}^{V_f} PdV##
I am posting this question after I thought I had easily solved the problem, but then when I checked the back of the book I saw that I was incorrect.

Here is what I did.

(a)

$$W=-\int_{V_i}^{V_f} PdV\tag{1}$$

$$V=V(P,T)-\frac{nRT}{P}\tag{2}$$

$$dV=\left ( \frac{\partial V}{\partial P}\right )_T dP+\left ( \frac{\partial V}{\partial T} \right )_P dT\tag{3}$$

$$=\frac{-nRT}{P^2}dP\tag{4}$$

Now we plug (4) into (1)

$$W=\int_{P_i}^{P_f} \frac{nRT}{P}dP=nRT\ln{\frac{P_f}{P_i}}\tag{5}$$

(b)

At this point I simply plugged the values into (5)

$$W=1\text{mol}\cdot 8.31 \mathrm{\frac{J}{mol ^\circ C}}\cdot 20^{\circ} \text{C}\cdot \ln{\frac{1\text{atm}}{20\text{atm}}}\tag{6}$$

$$=-7294\text{J}\tag{7}$$

The book answer says ##-3.17\times 10^3## J.

Physics news on Phys.org
zenterix said:
(b)

At this point I simply plugged the values into (5)

$$W=1\text{mol}\cdot 8.31 \mathrm{\frac{J}{mol ^\circ C}}\cdot 20^{\circ} \text{C}\cdot \ln{\frac{1\text{atm}}{20\text{atm}}}\tag{6}$$

$$=-7294\text{J}\tag{7}$$

The book answer says ##-3.17\times 10^3## J.
Be careful: indicate that you converted the 20 °C to kelvin. Otherwise, I get the same answer as you.

Likes zenterix
zenterix said:
$$W=-\int_{V_i}^{V_f} PdV\tag{1}$$

$$V=V(P,T)-\frac{nRT}{P}\tag{2}$$
Where did you get Eqn. 2 from?

Incidentally, you could have done the initial derivation differently by using the product rule for differentiation: $$PdV=d(PV)-VdP$$At constant temperature, d(PV)=nRdT=0, so, at constant temperature, $$PdV=-VdP=-\frac{nRT}{P}dp$$

Likes zenterix and MatinSAR
DrClaude said:
Be careful: indicate that you converted the 20 °C to kelvin. Otherwise, I get the same answer as you.
Indeed, I did use Kelvin.

Chestermiller said:
Where did you get Eqn. 2 from?

Incidentally, you could have done the initial derivation differently by using the product rule for differentiation: $$PdV=d(PV)-VdP$$At constant temperature, d(PV)=nRdT=0, so, at constant temperature, $$PdV=-VdP=-\frac{nRT}{P}dp$$
Equation 2 comes from the equation of state for ideal gases. I think you may be asking because of the typo I have in that equation.

It should be

$$V=V(P,T)=\frac{nRT}{P}$$

I accidentally had a minus sign in place of the second equals sign.

Likes Chestermiller

1. What is quasi-static, isothermal expansion?

Quasi-static, isothermal expansion is a process in thermodynamics where a gas expands slowly and continuously, while being in thermal equilibrium with its surroundings. This means that the temperature of the gas remains constant throughout the expansion.

2. What is the significance of work done during quasi-static, isothermal expansion?

The work done during quasi-static, isothermal expansion is a measure of the energy transferred from the gas to its surroundings. It is also an important factor in determining the efficiency of a thermodynamic process.

3. How is the work done calculated during quasi-static, isothermal expansion?

The work done during quasi-static, isothermal expansion can be calculated using the formula W = PΔV, where W is the work done, P is the external pressure, and ΔV is the change in volume of the gas.

4. What is the relationship between work done and pressure during quasi-static, isothermal expansion?

During quasi-static, isothermal expansion, the work done is directly proportional to the external pressure. This means that as the pressure increases, the work done also increases.

5. How does the work done during quasi-static, isothermal expansion differ from other types of work?

The work done during quasi-static, isothermal expansion is different from other types of work because it is performed at a constant temperature. This means that there is no change in the internal energy of the gas, and all the energy transferred is in the form of work.