1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ridiculously simple acceleration and velocity vectors, but I can't get them

1. Sep 28, 2008 #1
    Ridiculously simple acceleration and velocity vectors, but I can't get them....

We're supposed to answer a series of questions based on this diagram, but I am so confused by the answers.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A car travels at constant speed along the curved path shown in the figure below. Five possible vectors are also shown in the figure; the letter E represents the zero vector.

[​IMG]

These are the 3 questions (along with the correct answers from the key):

1. Which vector best represents the car's acceleration at point 1?
    answer: E

2. Which vector best represents the car's acceleration at point 2?
    answer: D

3. Which vector best represents the car's acceleration at point 3?
    answer: A

I don't get these answers at all, first the question tells me the car is traveling at a constant speed, (which I answered in question 1, E) Then it says it's D for question 2, then it's A for question 3? I don't get how these vectors connect together at all, and it's completely stumped me.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2008 #2
    Re: Ridiculously simple acceleration and velocity vectors, but I can't get them....

Remember, velocity is a vector quantity. It has magnitude and direction. If direction is changing, then the velocity is changing. If the velocity is changing, then there must be non-zero acceleration.

The car is experiencing centripetal acceleration at 2 and 3. Centripetal acceleration is always directed toward the center of the turn, at a right angle to the direction of motion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?