Riemann-Siegel Theta Function Approximation

In summary, the conversation is about writing a program to accurately generate the zeros of the Riemann zeta function. The individual needs the first ten terms of the theta function to achieve this, but the available approximation from Wikipedia is not sufficient. They have attempted to use MATLAB but have not been successful due to limitations in the language. Another person suggests using Stirling's series to directly calculate the gamma function, which can then be used to expand the theta function. The relevant resources for this can be found in Edwards' "Riemann's zeta function" book.
marcusmath
This is my first post on the physicsforums so go easy on me :)

I am writing a simple program to generate the zero's of the Riemann zeta function accurately.
However I need the first say, ten terms of the theta function
[tex]\theta\left(x\right) = arg\left(\Gamma\left(\frac{2ix+1}{4}\right)\right)-\frac{xln\pi}{2}[/tex]
to get an acceptably accurate answer.

Wikipedia gives an approximation here;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann%E2%80%93Siegel_theta_function"
but I need a larger expansion of the series
I tried to get MATLAB to generate the terms but am having no luck,

The algorithm is basically using Siegels Z-function and detecting a change of sign.
However, as the language I am using (a very basic pseudocode) is incapable of calculating the gamma function, I need the theta function to be expanded in the way it has been on the wiki page but with more terms so the algorithm can calculate the value approximately.

Sorry if this doesn't really make sense, but I am hoping someone here can help.
Thankyou

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The expansion you need is derived by expanding the gamma function as a power series and then doing some monotonous algebra. To implement it on the computer, I'd skip that step altogether and calculate the gamma directly using Stirling's series, and then plug the result into the expression for theta. You can find the expansion of gamma in Edwards "Riemann's zeta function", page 109:

http://books.google.com/books?id=5u...lient=firefox-a&pg=PA109#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Note the difference in notation:

[tex]\Pi(s-1) = \Gamma(s)[/tex]

B's are Bernoulli's numbers.

Thank you so much, Stirling's series is just what I needed :)

1. What is the Riemann-Siegel Theta Function Approximation?

The Riemann-Siegel Theta Function Approximation is a mathematical function used to approximate the Riemann zeta function, which is a fundamental function in number theory. It was developed by German mathematician Bernhard Riemann and later refined by German mathematician Carl Siegel.

2. What is the significance of the Riemann-Siegel Theta Function Approximation?

The Riemann-Siegel Theta Function Approximation is used to calculate the values of the Riemann zeta function for very large complex numbers on the critical line. This is important because the Riemann zeta function has many connections to other areas of mathematics, including prime number theory, which has important applications in cryptography and coding theory.

3. How does the Riemann-Siegel Theta Function Approximation work?

The Riemann-Siegel Theta Function Approximation uses trigonometric functions and complex numbers to approximate the Riemann zeta function. It involves calculating the phase of the Riemann zeta function on the critical line, which is where the real part of the complex number is equal to 1/2. This phase is then used to calculate the values of the zeta function for other complex numbers on the critical line.

4. What are the advantages of using the Riemann-Siegel Theta Function Approximation?

The Riemann-Siegel Theta Function Approximation is more efficient than other methods for calculating the values of the Riemann zeta function for large complex numbers on the critical line. It also has a high level of accuracy, making it a valuable tool for mathematicians and scientists studying the Riemann zeta function and its connections to other areas of mathematics.

5. Are there any limitations to the Riemann-Siegel Theta Function Approximation?

While the Riemann-Siegel Theta Function Approximation is a powerful tool, it does have its limitations. It is only accurate for values of the Riemann zeta function on the critical line, and it cannot be used to calculate values for other complex numbers. Additionally, it is not effective for calculating values of the Riemann zeta function on the non-critical line, where the real part of the complex number is not equal to 1/2.