1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rigid Bodies and Free Body Diagrams (w pulley)

1. Nov 30, 2005 #1
    Question: "A block of mass m1 = 1.87 kg and a block of mass m2 = 5.84 kg are connected by a massless string over a pulley in the shape of a solid disk having radius R = 0.180m and mass M = 12.7 kg. These blocks are allowed to move on a fixed block-wedge of angle 31.4 degrees as in the figure. The coefficient of kinetic friction is .357 for both blocks.

A) Using free-body diagrams of both blocks and of the pulley, determine the acceleration of the two blocks.

B) Determine the tensions in the string on both sides of the pulley.

BLOCK(m1) Pulley
    \\\\\BLOCK (m2)

My basic question here is how I factor in the pulley. I'm assuming I need to incorporate torques with the pulley and convert them to forces such that I can find a F(net)=ma for each block.

Block m1 WORK DONE:
    X: F(net) = T1(Tension of string) - F(friction)
    Y: F(net) = -m1g + N = 0

Block m2 WORK DONE:
    X: F(net) = m2gsin(Theta) - T2(String) - F(friction)
    Note: X is directed along the slope of the ramp.
    Y: F(net) = -m2gcos(Theta) + N = 0
    Perpindicular to ramp.

Thats as far as I got. Any help is appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

So far, so good. Write F(friction) in terms of the normal force and the coefficient of friction.

Treat the pulley as a rotating disk with the two tensions exerting torques on it.

Now apply Newton's 2nd law to all three objects. Be sure to incorporate the system constraint relating the motion of all three: Since they are attached by a string, the linear acceleration of both masses must be the same (in magnitude). What's the relationship between the linear acceleration of the masses and the angular acceleration of the pulley?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?