Rigid body orientation using Euler angles confusion

In summary, the relation between the α and β angles to Euler angles of orientation is α=θ+0.5π and β=ϕ. However, this solution may be incorrect as it relies on an assumption about the original orientation of the rod that may not be accurate.
Tar
Hello,

Homework Statement

I'm given the following exercise:

"A rod with neglected thickness exists. What is the relation between the α,β angles to Euler angles of orientation?
α is defined as the angle between the rod and its projection on the XY plane.
β is defined as the angle between the X-axis and the rod's projection on the XY plane.
(Note: We are using ZXZ Euler angles convention, having the following order of angles: ϕ,θ,ψ.)"
1iPlX.png

The answer is: α=θ+0.5π, β=ϕ
I don't understand why.

The Attempt at a Solution

As far as I know, usually the body points in the e3 direction in the body frame. Initially the body frame points towards the original Z direction, after rotation of ϕ around the Z axis, and then rotation of θ around the x′ axis, we will receive the following:
0yPi6.png

Note that the new z′ axis doesn't point to where it should be (according to the answer) and ϕ doesn't represent the angle between z' axis' projection on the XY plane and X-axis.

What am I missing?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tar said:
As far as I know, usually the body points in the e3 direction in the body frame.
This is not clear from the statement of the problem, but let's assume that it is true. If e3 is the Z direction, a rotation about that axis by any angle will not change the orientation of the rod, but will change the orientation of the x and y axes to x' and y'. Now to get the rod below the x'y' plane, you will need angle θ greater than π/2. The solution says that's not the case. So either your assumption about the original orientation of the rod is incorrect or the solution is incorrect.

On edit: Welcome to PF.
:welcome:

kuruman said:
This is not clear from the statement of the problem, but let's assume that it is true. If e3 is the Z direction, a rotation about that axis by any angle will not change the orientation of the rod, but will change the orientation of the x and y axes to x' and y'. Now to get the rod below the x'y' plane, you will need angle θ greater than π/2. The solution says that's not the case. So either your assumption about the original orientation of the rod is incorrect or the solution is incorrect.

On edit: Welcome to PF.
:welcome:

You're right. the lecturer have verified again (for the 3rd time) and there's a mistake that he hadn't noticed on his first verification.

I think this thread should be deleted as it doesn't help anyone,

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

1. What are Euler angles?

Euler angles are a set of three angles that are used to describe the orientation of a rigid body in three-dimensional space. They are typically denoted as α, β, and γ and represent rotations around the x, y, and z-axis, respectively.

2. How are Euler angles different from other orientation representations?

Euler angles are one of several ways to represent the orientation of a rigid body. They differ from other representations, such as quaternions, in that they are intuitive and easily visualized, but they can also suffer from a phenomenon known as "gimbal lock" which can lead to confusion and errors in calculations.

3. What is "gimbal lock" and how does it affect Euler angles?

Gimbal lock is a phenomenon that occurs when two of the Euler angles are aligned, resulting in a loss of one degree of freedom. This can lead to confusion and errors in calculations, as well as difficulty in visualizing the orientation of the rigid body.

4. How do I convert between Euler angles and other orientation representations?

There are various methods for converting between Euler angles and other orientation representations, such as quaternions or rotation matrices. It is important to carefully consider the limitations and potential errors of each method before choosing the most appropriate one for a specific application.

5. What are some common applications of Euler angles?

Euler angles are commonly used in applications involving the orientation of objects, such as robotics, aerospace engineering, and video game development. They are also used in motion capture systems and virtual reality technology to track and reproduce human movements.