Rigorous introduction to electromagnetism

In summary, there is a recommendation for Franklin's "Classical Electromagnetism" as a good introductory text on electromagnetism for someone with limited physics experience but strong skills in multivariate and vector calculus and ODE's. It starts from the basics and progresses in a rigorous manner, making it suitable for those without prior knowledge in physics. Another option is Purcell's E&M, Berkeley Physics Volume 2, which is a traditional standard text for honors introductory EM, but may be more challenging for those without a strong intuition for physics.
Number Nine
I'm looking for a good introductory text on electromagnetism for someone who has very little experience with physics but is comfortable with multivariate and vector calculus and ODE's. I'd prefer something that starts from the basics and works up in a rigorous fashion. Note that I am proficient in the above fields, but something at the level of Landau is probably a bit over my head considering my lack of intuition for physics. I can work with that level of difficulty if need be, but I'd prefer to start with something a little gentler.

Physics news on Phys.org
For many years, the traditional standard text for honors introductory EM has been Purcell's E&M, Berkeley Physics Volume 2.

I think that Franklin, "Classical Electromagnetism", could be appropriate for you.
Although it is a graduate level text, it starts from the basics and works up in a rigorous fashion. No previous knowledge of physics is necessary if your math is good.

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electric and magnetic fields, as well as their interactions with matter. It is based on the fundamental principles of electricity and magnetism, and is essential for understanding various phenomena in the natural world, such as light, electricity, and magnetism.

2. What are the key concepts in electromagnetism?

The key concepts in electromagnetism include electric charge, electric field, magnetic field, electromagnetic waves, and the interaction between electric and magnetic fields. These concepts are described by Maxwell's equations, which are a set of four equations that form the basis of classical electromagnetism.

3. How does electromagnetism affect our daily lives?

Electromagnetism plays a crucial role in our daily lives. It is responsible for generating and transmitting electricity, which powers our homes and devices. It also allows for the operation of electronic devices, such as computers and smartphones. Electromagnetic waves are also used in communication technologies, such as radio, television, and cellular networks.

4. What are some real-world applications of electromagnetism?

Some real-world applications of electromagnetism include motors, generators, transformers, electric circuits, antennas, and MRI machines. Electromagnetism is also used in industries such as telecommunications, transportation, and energy production.

5. How can I learn more about electromagnetism?

A rigorous introduction to electromagnetism can be found in physics textbooks or online courses. It is also helpful to engage in hands-on experiments and demonstrations to better understand the concepts. Additionally, seeking guidance from a knowledgeable instructor or tutor can greatly enhance your understanding of electromagnetism.