1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rigorous introduction to electromagnetism

1. Dec 30, 2011 #1
    I'm looking for a good introductory text on electromagnetism for someone who has very little experience with physics but is comfortable with multivariate and vector calculus and ODE's. I'd prefer something that starts from the basics and works up in a rigorous fashion. Note that I am proficient in the above fields, but something at the level of Landau is probably a bit over my head considering my lack of intuition for physics. I can work with that level of difficulty if need be, but I'd prefer to start with something a little gentler.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2011 #2
    For many years, the traditional standard text for honors introductory EM has been Purcell's E&M, Berkeley Physics Volume 2.

4. Dec 30, 2011 #3

clem

Science Advisor

I think that Franklin, "Classical Electromagnetism", could be appropriate for you.
    Although it is a graduate level text, it starts from the basics and works up in a rigorous fashion. No previous knowledge of physics is necessary if your math is good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook