Ensuring Compatibility: Important Measurements for SUV Rim Size

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's recent switch from a Dodge Avenger sedan to a Dodge Journey SUV and their consideration of using their winter tires from the Avenger on the Journey. The speaker's son raises concerns about compatibility due to differences in stud configuration. The speaker googles and discovers that there are other important measurements to consider such as wheel offset, backspace, and hub bore. They also discuss the importance of ensuring the correct tire diameter for proper functioning of the vehicle's systems. The speaker jokes about the correct names of the vehicles.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
(Not a car guy)

I've recently gone from a Dodge Davenger (4-door sedan) to a Dodge Journey (SUV). This is the first time I've owned anything larger than a sedan.

I had my winter tires for the Davenger on their own rims, so I only had to switch out the wheels seasonally, not pull the tires off. I still have those, and am considering whether to use them for winter tires on my Journey.

My son is telling me that the rims themselves may not be compatible. They're both 5-stud configurations...

1665006505372.png

...but they are not necessarily the same stud-distance on each vehicle.

I've never heard of this. But Googling pulls up some measurement guides which, by their mere existence, seems to lend some truth to the variation:
1665006657922.png
Is that the only thing I need to measure to ensure they're compatible? I mean, they're 17" rims - that won't be a problem on my SUV which normally take 18" rims, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is also the wheel offset, backspace, and hub bore which are important measurements. Also, are they both lug-centric or hub-centric wheels? (reference)

DaveC426913 said:
I mean, they're 17" rims - that won't be a problem on my SUV which normally take 18" rims, right?
It might be. You have to make sure the smaller wheels will clear the brakes. 17" or 18" wheels, you have to make sure the tire diameter is the correct one, or your speedometer, traction control & ABS systems, etc. may be thrown off.

And it's Dodge Avenger. :smile:

Likes berkeman
jack action said:
There is also the wheel offset, backspace, and hub bore which are important measurements. Also, are they both lug-centric or hub-centric wheels? (reference)It might be. You have to make sure the smaller wheels will clear the brakes. 17" or 18" wheels, you have to make sure the tire diameter is the correct one, or your speedometer, traction control & ABS systems, etc. may be thrown off.
Right. So. I can't just hope for the best.

jack action said:
And it's Dodge Avenger. :smile:
Sez you...

Next you're going to tell me my new vehicle isn't the Dodge Jinney.

Likes jack action

What is the recommended rim size for an SUV?

The recommended rim size for an SUV can vary depending on the make and model of the vehicle. However, a common rim size for SUVs is 17 inches.

Is 17 inches a suitable rim size for an SUV?

Yes, 17 inches is considered a suitable rim size for an SUV. It provides a good balance between performance and comfort for most SUVs.

What are the advantages of a 17-inch rim size on an SUV?

There are several advantages to having a 17-inch rim size on an SUV. It allows for better handling and stability, as well as improved braking performance. It can also provide a smoother ride and better fuel efficiency.

Are there any downsides to having a 17-inch rim size on an SUV?

One potential downside of a 17-inch rim size on an SUV is that it may not be suitable for off-roading or rough terrain. Additionally, larger rim sizes can be more expensive to replace if they get damaged.

Can I change the rim size on my SUV?

Yes, it is possible to change the rim size on your SUV. However, it is important to consult with a professional to ensure that the new rim size is compatible with your vehicle and will not affect its performance or safety.