Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Rings of Fractions ... Lovett, Section 6.2 ...

1. Mar 11, 2017 #1
    I am reading Stephen Lovett's book, "Abstract Algebra: Structures and Applications" and am currently focused on Section 6.2: Rings of Fractions ...

I need some help with some remarks following Definition 6.2.4 ... ... ...

The remarks following Definition 6.2.4 reads as follows:

?temp_hash=fb73158f1e161ee8cd97c4fd29851acd.png

In the above text from Lovett we read the following:

" ... ... it is not hard to show that if we had taken ##D = { \mathbb{Z} }^{ \gt 0 }## we would get a ring of fractions that is that is isomorphic to ## \mathbb{Q}##. ... ... "

Can someone please help me to understand this statement ... how is such an isomorphism possible ... in particular, how does one achieve a one-to-one and onto homomorphism from the positive integers to the negative elements of ##\mathbb{Q}## as well as the positive elements ...

Hope someone can help ... ...

Peter

==============================================================================

To enable readers to understand Lovett's approach to the rings of fraction construction, I am providing Lovett Section 6.2 up to an including the remarks following Definition 6.2.4 ... as follows:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2017 #2
    There is no isomorphism between D and Q, but an isomorphism between a set of equivalence classes of pairs (r,d) (where r is in R and d is in D ) and Q.
    The equivalence class containing all pairs (-n,2n) will map to -1/2, for example.

4. Mar 11, 2017 #3
    Hi willem2

Thanks for the help ...

Obviously I should have read the text more carefully ...

Thanks again ...

Peter

5. Mar 28, 2017 #4

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Should be Lovett and Leavitt or Lovett and Leavitt ;).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted