RIP Al Jaffee (102), Mad cartoonist extraordinaire

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rip
In summary, Al Jaffee was a famous cartoonist who passed away at 102 years old. He is most known for his work in Mad magazine, but he also wrote and drew cartoons for other publications.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/remember-the-usual-gang-of-idiots.557121/

Al Jaffee, longtime Mad magazine cartoonist, dead at 102​

https://apnews.com/article/al-jafee-mad-magazine-cartoonist-dies-f676fbeb190b44c8aa4abcb0daa5d571

“Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions”

Mad magazine, with its wry, sometimes pointed send-ups of politics and culture, was essential reading for teens and preteens during the baby-boom era and inspiration for countless future comedians. Few of the magazine’s self-billed “Usual Gang of Idiots” contributed as much — and as dependably — as the impish, bearded cartoonist. For decades, virtually every issue featured new material by Jaffee. His collected “Fold-Ins,” taking on everyone in his unmistakably broad visual style from the Beatles to TMZ, was enough for a four-volume box set published in 2011.

“Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions,” which delivered exactly what the title promised. A comic from 1980 showed a man on a fishing boat with a noticeably bent reel. “Are you going to reel in the fish?” his wife asks. “No,” he says, “I’m going to jump into the water and marry the gorgeous thing.”

or "Did you catch that fish?" "No, I talked it into to giving itself up."

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/al-jaffee-dies-intl-scli/index.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/10/arts/al-jaffee-dead.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/al-jaffee-dies-age-102-mad-magazine-cartoonist-fold-in/

• Sad
Likes DrClaude, Klystron, BillTre and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
I saw this story earlier today :frown: . But wow, 102!

Likes DrClaude and BillTre
gmax137 said:
I saw this story earlier today :frown: . But wow, 102!
IK. I read his NYTimes obit. Amazing early life. His father brought the young family from shetl in Central Europe to America. Then disillusioned (crazy) mother brought the kinder back to Europe in time for Nazism. Trade constant but veiled American antisemitism for full-blown rapacious pogroms. No wonder old Al envisioned monsters under every bed and sinister figures in each dark alley.

One of my favorite Al Jaffe cartoons not in MAD Magazine shows a nervous young man returning to his walkup apartment in some large city mid-20th Century. His sister accosts him as he enters home,

"Your cat is dead.", she says to her brother.

Near collapse, the boy exclaims, "No-o-o! Never break bad news that way! Say, 'Your cat is on the roof!', then tell me, 'Your cat is near the edge.', then gently say, 'I am so sorry, your cat fell off the roof and now abides in kitty heaven.'". The kid sighs, "Where's Mom?".

His sister replies, "Mom's on the roof.".

The kid faints dead away. The cartoonist pans back to show Mother hanging laundry on a rooftop clothesline, whistling through a bunch of wooden clothespins held in her mouth.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes berkeman, pinball1970, BillTre and 2 others
I used to read Mad in Spanish. I loved the joke drawings at the left/right sides. I used to walk a little bit to buy it at a specialiced bookstore. Greetings!

Likes hutchphd, Klystron and Astronuc

1. Who was Al Jaffee and what was his contribution to the world of cartoons?

Al Jaffee was a renowned cartoonist who is best known for his work in the satirical magazine, Mad. He was a pioneer of the "fold-in" technique, where a page of the magazine could be folded to reveal a hidden message or image. He also created the popular comic strip "Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions".

2. How long did Al Jaffee work for Mad magazine?

Al Jaffee worked for Mad magazine for over 65 years, from 1955 until his retirement in 2020. He was the longest-running contributor to the magazine, with over 500 issues under his belt.

3. What made Al Jaffee's cartoons stand out?

Al Jaffee's cartoons were known for their clever and often subversive humor. He had a unique ability to poke fun at societal norms and conventions, making his work relatable and thought-provoking. His use of the "fold-in" technique also set his cartoons apart and added an interactive element for readers.

4. How did Al Jaffee's work impact the world of cartoons and satire?

Al Jaffee's work had a significant impact on the world of cartoons and satire. His contributions to Mad magazine helped shape the genre of satirical humor and influenced many other cartoonists. He also received numerous awards and accolades for his work, including induction into the Will Eisner Hall of Fame.

5. What is Al Jaffee's legacy?

Al Jaffee's legacy is one of creativity, humor, and innovation. He will be remembered as a trailblazer in the world of cartoons and satire, whose work brought joy and laughter to countless readers. His iconic "fold-in" technique will continue to inspire future generations of cartoonists, and his impact on popular culture will not be forgotten.

Back