RIP condensed matter theorist Alexei Abrikosov

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Messages
35,014
Reaction score
21,725
Nobel laureate Alexei Abrikosov, a condensed matter theorist, passed away yesterday. I have no additional information at this time.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Demystifier and OmCheeto
Physics news on Phys.org
Vanadium 50 said:
Nobel laureate Alexei Abrikosov, a condensed matter theorist, passed away yesterday. I have no additional information at this time.

He has been in poor health for the past 5 or 6 years. I hardly saw him at Argonne anymore during this time.

This man never fails to say hi and acknowledge your presence whenever you bump into him. He may have strong opinions about various topics in physics, but he was a gentle man who would not mind chatting with you whenever he can.

Edit: Press release from Argonne:

http://www.anl.gov/articles/argonne-scientist-and-nobel-laureate-alexei-abrikosov-dies-88

Zz.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff and OmCheeto
ZapperZ said:
...
This man never fails to say hi and acknowledge your presence whenever you bump into him. He may have strong opinions about various topics in physics, but he was a gentle man who would not mind chatting with you whenever he can.
...
Zz.
Your description reminds me of an acquaintance.
If only we could capture those "chats".
Not sure how you felt about Alexei, but I always felt I should have had a knee on the ground when talking to my friend.