RIP condensed matter theorist Alexei Abrikosov

In summary, Nobel laureate Alexei Abrikosov, a renowned condensed matter theorist, passed away yesterday after years of poor health. He was known for his kind demeanor and willingness to engage in conversation, despite having strong opinions about various topics in physics. His passing is mourned by many in the scientific community.
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2023 Award
Nobel laureate Alexei Abrikosov, a condensed matter theorist, passed away yesterday. I have no additional information at this time.

Likes Demystifier and OmCheeto
Physics news on Phys.org
Vanadium 50 said:
Nobel laureate Alexei Abrikosov, a condensed matter theorist, passed away yesterday. I have no additional information at this time.

He has been in poor health for the past 5 or 6 years. I hardly saw him at Argonne anymore during this time.

This man never fails to say hi and acknowledge your presence whenever you bump into him. He may have strong opinions about various topics in physics, but he was a gentle man who would not mind chatting with you whenever he can.

Edit: Press release from Argonne:

http://www.anl.gov/articles/argonne-scientist-and-nobel-laureate-alexei-abrikosov-dies-88

Zz.

Likes dlgoff and OmCheeto
ZapperZ said:
This man never fails to say hi and acknowledge your presence whenever you bump into him. He may have strong opinions about various topics in physics, but he was a gentle man who would not mind chatting with you whenever he can.
Zz.
Your description reminds me of an acquaintance.
If only we could capture those "chats".
Not sure how you felt about Alexei, but I always felt I should have had a knee on the ground when talking to my friend.

1. Who was Alexei Abrikosov and what were his contributions to condensed matter theory?

Alexei Abrikosov was a Russian physicist who made significant contributions to the field of condensed matter theory. He is best known for his work on superconductivity, specifically the Abrikosov vortices that form in type-II superconductors.

2. How did Alexei Abrikosov's research impact the field of superconductivity?

Abrikosov's work on superconductivity helped to explain the behavior of type-II superconductors and provided a framework for further research in the field. His discovery of the Abrikosov vortices led to a deeper understanding of the properties and applications of superconductors.

3. What awards and honors did Alexei Abrikosov receive for his contributions to science?

Abrikosov was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 2003, along with Vitaly Ginzburg and Anthony Leggett, for their pioneering work on superconductivity and superfluidity. He also received the Pomeranchuk Prize in 1989 and the Landau Prize in 1991 for his contributions to condensed matter theory.

4. What was Alexei Abrikosov's educational background and career path?

Abrikosov studied at Moscow State University and received his PhD in 1951. He then worked at the Institute for Physical Problems in Moscow before joining the Landau Institute for Theoretical Physics in 1964. He also held positions at various universities and research institutes throughout his career, including Argonne National Laboratory and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

5. How did Alexei Abrikosov's work continue to influence the field of condensed matter theory after his passing?

Abrikosov's contributions to condensed matter theory continue to be studied and built upon by scientists around the world. His work on superconductivity and other areas of condensed matter physics has laid the foundation for further advancements in the field. Many researchers still cite his papers and theories in their own work, making his legacy a lasting one.