RIP Diego Maradona (30 October 1960 – 25 November 2020)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Rip
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 1K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
Messages
22,714
Reaction score
7,806
Argentine football (fútbol, soccer) star and legend passed away at age 60 from a heart attack at his home in Tigre, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina.

Apparently he had a number of health issues, some of which were apparently complications related to an addiction to cocaine. :frown:
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44627510

And in a recent development, his doctor is being investigated!
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-55123188
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
Argentine football (fútbol, soccer) star and legend passed away at age 60 from a heart attack at his home in Tigre, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina.

Apparently he had a number of health issues, some of which were apparently complications related to an addiction to cocaine. :frown:
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44627510

And in a recent development, his doctor is being investigated!
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-55123188

I despised him for years after the hand of god goal, after a few years he became kind of comical to me then a new found respect for him and now I am saddened he has died relatively young.

Flaws aside he was a one off, a genius on the park.
 
Here's a picture of the referee who awarded the "hand of god" goal.

Football is so corrupt, then don't even bother trying to hide it!

1606743448583.png
 
PeroK said:
Football is so corrupt, then don't even bother trying to hide it!
What shall I say? I have a mug from Forest and a mug from QPR in the cupboard :cry:
 
Here's the impressive "goal of the century" by Maradona during the quarter final against England in 1986:

A funny thing is that Lionel Messi did a very similar goal later when he was only 19 years old.
At least as impressive, in my opinion.

Bonus for soccer fans: See also the legendary breathtaking free kick by Roberto Carlos of Brazil (he was a master at free kicks).

Edit:

pinball1970 said:
I despised him for years after the hand of god goal
Same here. I like fair play, not cheating like that. Still, he was a great player.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970