RMS and the Pythagorean Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the root mean square and the Pythagorean theorem, specifically how the root mean square of the legs of a right triangle is equal to the "average leg," and how this can be visualized using a 45-45-90 triangle. The possibility of this being used to find average vector components and its potential connection to standard deviation are also mentioned. The conversation ends with a request for feedback and clarification on the topic.
kotreny
Today I was thinking about the root mean square, and I figured out a definite relationship with the Pythagorean theorem. Specifically, the root mean square of the legs of a right triangle is equal to the "average leg," i.e. the leg of a square with the hypotenuse as it's diagonal. It appears to me that this is a fairly interesting and important connection, certainly applying to distance on Cartesian coordinates and maybe explaining the usefulness of the RMS. However, when I googled it, nothing came up! I'm trying to see if this relationship has any meaning whatsoever, which I believe it should, and if so, what it means. I'm pretty sure my math isn't wrong.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Attachments

• Pythagoreanmeans.jpg
    Pythagoreanmeans.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 652
Thanks for the attachment, but there seems to be something wrong. I tried substituting a=4 and b=3. The RMS is then 5/[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]. But the line labeled RMS in the figure should be of length 7/[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex], right? It looks like the diagonal of a square with side A--or the arithmetic mean, which would be 7/2--and the diagonal is always equal to side*[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks again!

kotreny said:
Today I was thinking about the root mean square, and I figured out a definite relationship with the Pythagorean theorem. Specifically, the root mean square of the legs of a right triangle is equal to the "average leg," i.e. the leg of a square with the hypotenuse as it's diagonal.

I should clarify exactly what I mean.

Let's say you have a right triangle with legs a and b and hypotenuse c.
The Pythagorean Theorem says that a2 + b2 = c2.
Now, the root mean square of the two legs is [tex]\sqrt{(a^2 + b^2)/2}[/tex]. But wait! Combine the two equations to get,

RMS of a and b = [tex]\sqrt{c^2/2}[/tex] = c /[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]

Now imagine a 45-45-90 triangle with legs equal to c /[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]. The length of the hypotenuse would then be
c /[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] * [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex], which is equal to c. The conclusion is that the RMS of legs a and b gives you the leg of a 45-45-90 triangle with the same hypotenuse c. A little extra work shows that it applies to 3 or more dimensions too.

I'll bet this is used to find average vector components, or something, though they probably don't take the time to mention the connection with the RMS. I dunno.

Does standard deviation have something to do with this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation#Geometric_interpretation"

This is essentially what I'm talking about, although worded differently. Seems strange that nowhere else mentions it; you'd think this is an important fact!

So can standard deviation really, formally be visualized like this? If you take a data set, can each data point's deviation be considered as inhabiting its own "dimension"? Does it have mathematical significance at all?

I'd love to get some answers, opinions, and especially corrections! Any feedback would be appreciated. Please comment, and thanks very much! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is RMS and how is it related to the Pythagorean Theorem?

RMS stands for Root Mean Square and it is a mathematical concept that is commonly used in science and engineering to find the average value of a set of numbers. It is related to the Pythagorean Theorem because the formula for calculating RMS involves taking the square root of the sum of squared values, which is similar to the Pythagorean Theorem formula of finding the hypotenuse of a right triangle.

2. How is the Pythagorean Theorem used in real-world applications?

The Pythagorean Theorem is used in various real-world applications such as construction, navigation, and engineering. It is used to calculate distances, heights, and angles in right triangle scenarios. For example, architects use it to measure and construct square corners in buildings, while pilots use it to determine the distance between two points on a map.

3. Are there any other ways to prove the Pythagorean Theorem besides using the formula?

Yes, there are multiple ways to prove the Pythagorean Theorem, including geometric proofs, algebraic proofs, and even visual proofs. One famous visual proof is called the "Chinese Proof" which involves rearranging the squares of the sides of a triangle to form a larger square.

4. Can the Pythagorean Theorem be applied to non-right triangles?

No, the Pythagorean Theorem only applies to right triangles, which are triangles that have one 90-degree angle. It cannot be used to find the lengths of sides or angles in non-right triangles.

5. Who was Pythagoras and why is he associated with the Pythagorean Theorem?

Pythagoras was a Greek mathematician and philosopher who lived in the 6th century BC. He is credited with discovering and proving the Pythagorean Theorem, although there is evidence that the theorem was known to the Babylonians and Indians before him. Pythagoras and his followers believed in the power and beauty of numbers and geometry, which is why he is widely associated with the Pythagorean Theorem.