1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Disproving Pythagorean Theorem

1. Sep 17, 2013 #1
    Ever since I was in grade school I have been fascinated with the idea that the Pythagorean theorem, or any other universally respected theorem, could be wrong. When I was younger I found a little proof I made to disprove it, and I came across it in an old notebook of mine. Now after taking calculus and other more advanced maths I see that Pythagoras could not be wrong, however, I am having trouble actually disproving the proof I made to disprove Pythagoras's theorem, if that makes sense. I may just be having a serious brain fart so don't kill me.

The proof I made was this:

Make 4 congruent right triangles with side lengths of "a" and "b" and a hypotenuse with a length "c" and put the triangles together to make a square where the hypotenuses of the triangles are on the outside of the square. it should look like this: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YF-2E8vTRLs/TmoSmBD65wI/AAAAAAAABX8/BPFkCMM0vGE/s1600/QST.png

Obviously the area of the triangle is A=c^2, the Area could also be the area of each triangle A=1/2ab, there are 4 of them so it becomes A=2ab. Through substitution we get c^2=2ab.

c^2=2ab doesn't agree with the Pythagorean theorem, the problem I have having is explaining why this is so... I cant find an error in my logic. So can you guys help me out and tell me where I went wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2013 #2
    "c^2=2ab doesn't agree with the Pythagorean theorem"

I agree with you up til here. So you created a square, right? Meaning that each triangle is a 45 45 90, right? So then a=b. Then c^2=a^2+b^2=a^2+a^2=2a^2=2ab. I see no reason why this contradicts the Pythagorean Theorem.

4. Sep 17, 2013 #3
    hmm... well I do you see they don't have to be 45 45 90 triangles, it could be a rectangle too, sorry for saying square. Try an example lets say a=4 b=5 and by the Pythagorean theorem c=5 but by the formula c^2=2ab c=sqrt20..

5. Sep 17, 2013 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This site is not the place to discuss your misunderstandings.

Thread closed.

6. Sep 18, 2013 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

In reference to your drawing, and working backwards, if you start with a rectangle and draw two diagonal lines, the four angles at the center will not be congruent. That means that none of the angles at the center can be 90°.

The only way that the central angles can all be congruent (and thus 90° each) is when the rectangle is actually a square. In this case the triangles are all 45° - 45° - 90° right triangles, and the two legs are equal in length. If the square is a units on each side, each leg of the triangle that makes up a quarter of the square will be a/√2.

No. If the legs of a right triangle are a = 4 and b = 5, then c can't be 5. This would be too short. By the Pythagorean Theorem, c = √(42 + 52) = √41 ≈ 6.4.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook