1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rocket ascending in Earth's gravity

1. Jun 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rocket ascends from rest in Earth's gravitational field, by ejecting exhaust with constant speed u. Assume that the rate at which mass is expelled is given by dm/dt = −γm where m is the instantaneous mass of the rocket and γ is a constant; and that the rocket is retarded by air resistance with a force mbv where b is a constant.
    Determine the velocity of the rocket as a function of time. Here is a hint: The terminal velocity is ( γu−g )/b.

Calculate the time when the velocity is one-half of the terminal velocity.
    Data: u = 31.9 m/s; b = 1.2 s−1.

2. Relevant equations
    dp/dt=F=m(dv/dt)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I get dv=-udm-(g+bv)dt; dm=-γm
    so dv=uγ-(g+bv)dt

solving for v:
    v(t)=(1/b)e^((-uγ/b)t)-(g/b)

the problem I am running into is what is gamma, because I have no inital condition to apply, and I'm fairly sure the solution to the diff eq is correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2011 #2
    gamma is just a constant, it doesn't really matter what it is, your answers will probably just have to be expressed in terms of it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook