{Rocks} difference between sandstone and slate?

Homework Statement

sandstone is a sedimentary rocks while slate is a metamorphic rock come from mud stone with a high temperature and pressure, they are both stratified rocks, while chemically slates compose of Argil i.e Clay, while silica is the main ingredients of sandstone,
my question is : how can we make the difference by just look ?

Answers and Replies

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

sandstone is a sedimentary rocks while slate is a metamorphic rock come from mud stone with a high temperature and pressure, they are both stratified rocks, while chemically slates compose of Argil i.e Clay, while silica is the main ingredients of sandstone,
my question is : how can we make the difference by just look ?
What's one of the key characteristics of sedimentary rocks? How are these types of rock formed?

sedimentary rocks formed due to weathering action of water, wind and frost on existing rocks generally uniform, fine grained and compact

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
sedimentary rocks formed due to weathering action of water, wind and frost on existing rocks generally uniform, fine grained and compact
And how do these bits of existing rock collect before being turned into a sedimentary rock? What is the chief feature of their appearance?

Hint: It's OK to look at pictures of rocks on the internet. ;)

by look by touch
it's hard difficult to notice the difference in pictures u can try that

Borek
Mentor
Untitled-1.jpg