1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Role of mass in this problem on electrostatics

1. Apr 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Positive charge Q is distributed uniformly over a circular ring of radius R.A particle with mass 'm' and a negative charge 'q' is placed on the axis at a distance 'x' from the centre.Find the force on the particle.Assuming x<<R, find the time period of oscillation of the particle if it is released from there.

Before I request for a solution, I would request someone to explain why the mass given here is relevant.

Secondly, can anyone please refer me a book/reference on electrostatics?I am fully comfortable with rigorous single variable calculus(I am in high school) and would not mind a book/reference that has really tough problems but explains the matter well.(My assessment is that I have not really understood the matter)

Edit:I can probably see that the x<<R condition is for approximation(or for some ignoring some quantity when it emerges in the answer or the steps leading to it)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2012 #2
    Hi,

Why not?

To find the electrostatic force, i think (and i'm sure), the mass is'nt necessary.

But maybe for the time of oscillation no? I dont know.

So... You should to read Richard Feynman's books.

4. Apr 28, 2012 #3
    You are going to find a force which acts more or less like a spring (F = kx). Since you know that F = ma = md2x/dt2, you're gonna wind up with a diff.eq. with m in it. The solution to it is a sine wave, in which you'll find your time constant.

spoiler: You are gonna have to find the e-field by integrating the line charge, which in turn yields the force as F=qE.

ps.Electromagnetic Fields by Wangsness is the best book on electromagnetism in my opinion, but it requires multi-variable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook