Role of the Primative in Behaviour

• Medical
  • Thread starter Mike Robinson
  • Start date
In summary, the author believes there is a strong connection between the primative brain and human behaviour. He is looking for a thesis advisor to help him further develop his concept.
Mike Robinson
I believe there is a very strong, even key connection between the functions of our primative brain and human behaviour. I believe that an understanding of the relationship between the primative brain and the newly evolved neo cortex is essential to understanding the mechanics of the subconscious and, therefore, a significant swath of human behaviour.

My goal is to construct a new model of human behaviour that takes this important modern/primative brain interrelationship into account. To that end I have spent about 14 months identifying and articulating the components of this model and continue to further refine the idea.

I have no idea how to present my concept to an academic audience, thus have I offer this thread.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Some features such as eating and reproducing certainly is/was part of our primitive parts of the brain.

Perhaps the most important aspect that is often overlooked is the survival mandate. I am focusing my attention on this aspect. Consider that the neo cortex evolved gradually and that the reptilian brain always retained its primary mandate. To this day, the humblest part of our brain can and regularly does supress the functions of the neo cortex and performs a "take-over", for example, in moments of traumatic threat.

What I am seeking on this thread is a thesis advisor of sorts, someone who can advise me in this regard.

Thanks for the post.

I can see that connection too. It also would be on reading people, consider how we can instinctively pick up on the "vibes" that other people generate just by subconsciously observing their body language. We get certain vibes from people, and it's not like anyone really tells us that certain body movements mean certain things.

Yes, so many cues we receive from others are at that level. What puzzled me most is how we could be both conscious and unaware at the same time. We are obviously conscious because we find ourselves responding. Some part of us is receiving, understanding and responding to these messages, but how is this accomplished. I believe we are looking right at the culprate.

Also, you are taught verbal communication. When you're a baby, you still can pick up on when parents are angry because of their movement and tonality regardless of the fact that you don't know how to speak. Subtle cues in movement and posture can indicate what a person is trying to communicate regardless of what they're actually saying.

Body language and sub communication fascinates me. It's all about non-verbal communication, what's being said can be drastically different than what the body is saying.

I think this would have to do with the reptilian brain, because it does deal with all instinctive behaviors. It's our core brain, how couldn't it affect how we behave? Emotions are even affected by it, we can't choose how we feel towards certain things. They just "push buttons" that cause a certain emotion. After we get the emotion we will then react according to the emotion and feeling that was derived from the cue.

How is it that we already know what to do in a situation that we've never encountered before like a fight? It's all instinct -- we get a feeling from the situation in split seconds, and act accordingly. We run in most cases because running is a naturally evolved instinct. When we're hungry, what do we do? We eat! Attraction towards the opposite sex is also in relation to the reptilian brain, we can't choose who we're attracted to. It's not a choice, it just happens. What is causing you to be attracted to her or him? You don't know, you just are attracted.

When you say how we're both conscious and unaware, it's such a paradigm. It's like how we're "in" our body, and "in" the mind (or in our head) at the same time.

Last edited:
Please note that our forum guidelines prohibit non-mainstream, personal theories. Sorry, but this is not the place to explore your unpublished speculations, regardless of whether they have merit or not.

What is the role of the primitive in behavior?

The role of the primitive in behavior refers to the influence of our evolutionary past on our current behaviors. It suggests that our instincts and innate behaviors, developed through thousands of years of evolution, continue to play a significant role in shaping our actions and decisions.

How does the primitive influence our behavior?

The primitive influences our behavior through a variety of ways, such as survival instincts, fight or flight response, and social behaviors. These innate behaviors helped our ancestors survive and reproduce, and they continue to guide our actions in similar situations.

Can we overcome the influence of the primitive in our behavior?

While our primitive instincts may still play a significant role in our behavior, our ability to think critically and make rational decisions can override these impulses. Through self-awareness and conscious effort, we can learn to control and modify our behaviors to better align with our goals and values.

What are some examples of primitive behaviors?

Examples of primitive behaviors include aggression, territoriality, mating rituals, and communal living. These behaviors are found in many animal species and are thought to have originated in our early human ancestors as well.

How does the study of the primitive in behavior benefit us?

Studying the primitive in behavior can provide insight into the origins of our behaviors and help us understand why we act the way we do. It can also help us identify and address any destructive or harmful behaviors that may be rooted in our primitive instincts.