1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rot. + Trans. Motion: Conservation of E

1. Mar 29, 2012 #1
    Suppose of uniform thin rod (mass M, length b) is attached to a pivot at the top. A piece of clay of mass m strikes the rod at distance x below the pivot at v0 perpendicular to the rod and sticks to it.

I understand the E is not conserved b/c this is an inelastic collision (clay sticks to rod). But would the fraction of E loss be during the collision?

I think:

Fraction of E loss = E final / E initial where E initial = 1/2mv0^2 but what would E final be?

Can someone please help with respect to the rod's rotational and translational E? What would it's moment of inertia be? Should I apply parallel axis theorem?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2012 #2
    So the problem is to find the final velocity of the system, and by that the final energy?
    [itex]Eini = 1/2mv_0^2\\
    Efinal = E_{rot} + E_{trans} = 1/2I\omega^2 [/itex]
    So no translation(pivot).
    The uniform rod has a moment of interia about its center of mass: [itex]I_{cm}=(M+m)b^2/12\\ I = I_{cm}+(M+m)r^2 = (M+m)(r^2+b^2\dfrac{1}{12})[/itex]
    Now use the conservation of angular momentum just before collision and after, cause the sum of external torque is zero.

4. Mar 30, 2012 #3
    I don't think so...

The axis of rotation is at the end of the rod (where the pivot is) so I = 1/3(M+m)L^2 + mx^2 (m is point particle at distance x from axis of rotation).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook