Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotation of coordinates (context of solving simple PDE)

1. Jul 21, 2014 #1
    If you rotate your rectangular coordinate system (x,y) so that the rotated x'-axis is parallel to a vector (a,b), in terms of the (x,y) why is it given by

x'=ax+by
    y'=bx-ay

I got x'=ay-bx, y'=by+ax from y=(b/a)x.

By the way this is from solving the PDE aux+buy=0 by making one of the partial derivatives disappear. The general solution I got from this change of variables is u(ay-bx) rather than u(bx-ay) - is u(ay-bx) wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2014 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is the equation of the x' axis, i.e, it is the equation for y' = 0.

4. Jul 25, 2014 #3
    So I need an arbitrary constant?

5. Jul 25, 2014 #4
    My lecturer did the change of coordinates for a more general constant coefficient PDE [itex]\sum_{j=1}^n a_j\frac{\partial f}{\partial x_j}=b(x,u)[/itex] in n-variables by defining the new variables as:

[itex]y_1=\frac{x_1}{a_1}[/itex]
    and
    [itex]y_j=x_j-\frac{a_j}{a_1}x_1[/itex]

How do you get this?

6. Jul 26, 2014 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Strictly speaking, x'= ax+ by, y'= bx- ay does NOT give a rotation.

If [itex]a^2+ b^2> 1[/itex] there will be both a rotation and an expansion. If [itex]a^2+ b^2< 1[/itex] there will be both a rotation and a shrinking It is only when [itex]a^2+ b^2= 1[/itex] that x'= ax+ by, y'= bx- ay gives a pure rotation.

One can show that a rotation, counterclockwise, about the origin, through angle [itex]\theta[/itex] is given by [itex]x'= cos(\theta)x+ sin(\theta)y[/itex], [itex]y'= sin(\theta)x- cos(\theta) y[/itex]. In your formulation, "a" must be [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex] and "b" must be [itex]sin(\theta)[/itex] where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle rotated through.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook