Rotational and translational energy in a guillotine system

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sheldinoh
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
Sheldinoh
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
1. The problem statement
ScannedImage.jpg


http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab249/sheldonsimon/ScannedImage.jpg"

Homework Equations



I=.5MR^2

The Attempt at a Solution



mgh + .5mv^2 + Iw^2 = mgh + .5mv^2 + Iw^2

v=rw

I don't know if this is right or not.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all using Newton's law and torque find the acceleration of the masses.
 
Sheldinoh said:
It would be 6m/s2 right?
Show your calculations.
 
(M1+M2)a = M1(9.8) + M2(-9.8)

(20+5)a = 20(9.8) - 5(9.8)

a = 6
 
No. It is not correct.
Let T1 be the tension in the right segment of the string and T2 that of the left segment.
Then T1 - m1*g = m1a----(1)
R*(T2 - T1) = I*α-----(2)
m2*g - T2 = m2*a.----(3)
Substitute the values of I and α, and solve the equations to find a.