1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Energy and Pulley System

1. Oct 24, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Problem reads:
    The pulley in the figure has radius 0.160 m and a moment of inertia 0.480 kgm^2. The rope does not slip on the pulley rim. Use energy methods to calculate the speed of the 4.00-kg block just before it strikes the floor.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]v=\omega r[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I said [tex]m_{1}[/tex] was the 4.00 kg block and [tex]m_{2}[/tex] was the 2.00 kg block. Setting the initial and final energies of the system equal, I got:

Since initial angular momentum is zero and so is the height of block 2, and in the final state, height of block 2 is zero, this simplifies to:

Plugging in numbers:

I got [tex]\omega=20.21 rad/s[/tex]. Then using [tex]v=\omega r[/tex] I just plugged in the radius and the angular velocity I just found to get v=3.23 m/s

This is not the right answer according to the homework website unfortunately... help would be appreciated!
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are forgetting that not all of the kinetic energy is in the pulley. The blocks have some too.
  4. Oct 24, 2007 #3
    Alright, I added the kinetic energy into the equation (kept the left side the same since kinetic energy is 0 for both blocks when they're at rest) and solved for v:

Using [tex]v=\omega r[/tex] and isolating [tex]\omega[/tex] and substituting that into the equation, I got 5.71 m/s.

But it still says this is wrong... how do I go about getting the right answer?
  5. Oct 24, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are doing everything right and your presentation of this problem is super clear, good job. But if I put the numbers into your equation I don't get what you get for v. Are you just punching in numbers wrong?
  6. Oct 24, 2007 #5
    Ah alright, I got it (v=2.81 m/s)... it turns out I did punch in a wrong number somewhere, I hate it when I do that, heh.

Anyway, thank you for the help Dick, I really appreciate it!
  7. Oct 24, 2007 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's what I get as well. Like I say, I wish all posters presented stuff this well.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?