Doubt related to the velocity of the center of mass

Homework Statement:

1. if two bodies of masses m are moving toward each other with a constant speed v and 2v find the speed of the CoM.
2. If two bodies of masses m are accelerating towards each other due to the force of gravity on each of them what is the speed of the CoM.

Relevant Equations:

$$V_{cm} = \frac {m_{1}v_{1} + m_{2}v_{2}}{m_{1}+m_{2}}$$
In question 1. since there is no external force on the system of particles(and since it was initially at rest) shouldn't the ##V_{cm}## be zero?
But the correct answer applies the above stated formula for ##V_{cm}## and gets ##V_{cm} = v/2##

and in question 2 again as there is no external force on the system the ##V_{cm} = 0## (as they will also collide at the CoM) but here how exactly can you apply the above formula(maybe in a differential eqn form as they are accelerating) to get ##V_{cm} = 0##

in short I am confused as to when to apply $$V_{cm} = \frac {m_{1}v_{1} + m_{2}v_{2}}{m_{1}+m_{2}}$$

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
since it was initially at rest
Who says?
how exactly can you apply the above formula(maybe in a differential eqn form as they are accelerating)
The formula has velocities, you want accelerations.
How do you get from a velocity to an acceleration?

Who says?
so the CoM of a system can move with a velocity only if it was initially moving (and ##F_{ext} = 0##)
is this reasoning correct?

also, in the second scenario since the CoM wasn't initially moving and there is no external force hence it should remain at rest. but here if $$A_{cm} = \frac {m_{1}a_{1} + m_{2}a_{2}}{m_{1}+m_{2}}$$ wont you get a wrong answer as ##A_{cm}## should equal zero o_O

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
so the CoM of a system can move with a velocity only if it was initially moving (and Fext=0)
is this reasoning correct?
Yes.
wont you get a wrong answer as Acm should equal zero
So what do you need to prove regarding ##m_1a_1+m_2a_2## in this scenario?

Yes.

So what do you need to prove regarding ##m_1a_1+m_2a_2## in this scenario?
in this scenario since their masses are equal and their accelerations are in the opposite direction ##m_1a_1+m_2a_2 = 0##
but if their masses were say ##m## and ##2m## then the CoM will have a non zero acceleration
(as ##(2ma-ma)/(3m) = a/3)## but again ##F_{ext} = 0## and hence shouldnt ##A_{cm}## equal zero?

jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
in this scenario since their masses are equal and their accelerations are in the opposite direction ##m_1a_1+m_2a_2 = 0##
Yes.
but if their masses were say ##m## and ##2m## then the CoM will have a non zero acceleration
(as ##(2ma-ma)/(3m) = a/3)## but again ##F_{ext} = 0## and hence shouldnt ##A_{cm}## equal zero?
You've assumed here that the accelerations of the two masses are equal -- that both are given by the same variable named ##a##. But is that assumption correct?

Yes.

You've assumed here that the accelerations of the two masses are equal -- that both are given by the same variable named ##a##. But is that assumption correct?
I get my mistake now.
so the equation $$A_{cm} = \frac {m_{1}a_{1} + m_{2}a_{2}}{m_{1}+m_{2}}$$ is always valid and $$V_{cm} = \frac {m_{1}v_{1} + m_{2}v_{2}}{m_{1}+m_{2}}$$ can be used only if ##F_{ext} = 0## and the center of mass is initially in motion.

jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I get my mistake now.
so the equation $$A_{cm} = \frac {m_{1}a_{1} + m_{2}a_{2}}{m_{1}+m_{2}}$$ is always valid
Yes, this is correct. This equation can be derived by differentiating the one below.
$$V_{cm} = \frac {m_{1}v_{1} + m_{2}v_{2}}{m_{1}+m_{2}}$$ can be used only if ##F_{ext} = 0## and the center of mass is initially in motion.
No. This equation holds always. It can be derived by differentiating the equation I provide here:$$X_{cm}=\frac{m_1x_1 + m_2x_2}{m_1 + m_2}$$This equation holds always. It is the definition of the position (##X##) of the center of mass.

Your error is the one that I pointed out, the fallacy of equivocation. You used one variable to denote two accelerations which were not necessarily equal.

Likes Hamiltonian299792458