Rotational momentum (previous problem)

You have no idea how much I appreciate your help. Thank you, thank you, thank you!In summary, a thin rod of length 1.50m, with its bottom end attached to the floor by means of a frictionless hinge and a mass fixed to the top, starts from rest and rotates downward. Using conservation of energy, the angular speed of the rod just before it strikes the floor can be found by using PE=KE and the formula for gravitational potential energy mgh=mv^2/2. The calculated angular speed is 3.61 rad/s.
anelmarx

Homework Statement

A thin rod of length 1.50m is oriented vertically, with its bottom end attached to the floor by means of a frictionless hinge. The mass of the rod may be ignored compared to the mass of an object fixed to the top of the rod. The rod, starting from rest, tips over and rotates downward.
Find the angular speed of the rod just before it strikes the floor.

Homework Equations

KE=PE
Iw*w/2=mgh where h=L/2=CG
I=mr*r

The Attempt at a Solution

w=?
r=1.5m=L
g=6.50 rad/s*s
h=0.75m (CG=L/2)
s=2.36m
angle=90degrees=pi/2 rad
T=14.7

mr*r*w*w/2=mgL/2
Cancel out m
r*r*w*w/2=gL/2
now I have calcultated g = 6.50 rad/s*s
so
1.5*1.5*w*w/2=6.5*1.5/2
1.125*w*w=4.875
w*w=4.875/1.125
w=2.00

But the correct answer is 3.61 according to textbook.

What am I doing wrong?
Please help, I am so frustrated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi anelmarx! Welcome to PF! :smile:
anelmarx said:
A thin rod of length 1.50m is oriented vertically, with its bottom end attached to the floor by means of a frictionless hinge. The mass of the rod may be ignored compared to the mass of an object fixed to the top of the rod. The rod, starting from rest, tips over and rotates downward.
Find the angular speed of the rod just before it strikes the floor.

KE=PE
Iw*w/2=mgh where h=L/2=CG
I=mr*r

now I have calcultated g = 6.50 rad/s*s

Why are you using the centre of the rod (L/2)? The mass is all at the end of the rod.

And how do you get g = 6.50 rad/s*s? g is length/time2 … radian is not a length.

ok, that's tactics … now overall strategy …

this is not a moment of inertia case, it's a perfectly simple ordinary conservation of energy case with a point mass …

it's exactly the same as as a mass on a string (except upside down, of course) …

just use mgh and 1/2 mv2

the only relevance of the angular speed is that for some reason they've asked you to convert the ordinary speed into angular speed at the end :wink:

Ok now I am really lost.

I am studying online and do not have anyone to ask - lecturer not resonding:frown:.

If I use v*v=v_o*v_o+2ax
and a=-9.81m/s*s
and x=1.5m
then
v*v=0+2*-9.81*1.5
but then you cannot take the root of a negative?

OMG I am just so frustrated

anelmarx said:
If I use v*v=v_o*v_o+2ax

uhh? that's a constant acceleration equation … why are you using it? this isn't constant acceleration

use mgh and 1/2 mv2 and conservation of energy

Ok, think I might have figured it out:

PE=KE
mgh=mv*v/2
m falls away so
gh=v*v/2
and g = 9.81
so
9.81*1.5*2=v*v
v=5.43m/s
then ang speed=v/r=5.43/1.5=3.61rad/s

and to find ang acc:

90degrees = pi/2 and s=r*pi/2=1.5*pi/2=2.36m
so
9.81m/s*((pi/2)rad/2.36m)=6.53rad/s

anelmarx said:
PE=KE

then ang speed=v/r=5.43/1.5=3.61rad/s

Fine, except better if you say PE lost = KE gained :wink:
and to find ang acc:

90degrees = pi/2 and s=r*pi/2=1.5*pi/2=2.36m
so
9.81m/s*((pi/2)rad/2.36m)=6.53rad/s

oh, you didn't say anything about angular acceleration in the original question …

hmm … I'm not following your reasoning …

where does π/2 come into it? :confused:

either use general principles, or use torque (= moment of force) = moment of inertia times angular acceleration :wink:

Wow! thank you so much for your help, I have been struggling with this for hours and hours.

1. What is rotational momentum?

Rotational momentum, also known as angular momentum, is the measure of an object's tendency to continue rotating around an axis. It is a vector quantity and is influenced by an object's mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is rotational momentum different from linear momentum?

Linear momentum describes the motion of an object in a straight line, while rotational momentum describes the motion of an object around an axis. In other words, linear momentum is a measure of an object's straight-line motion, while rotational momentum is a measure of its circular motion.

3. What is the formula for calculating rotational momentum?

The formula for rotational momentum is L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity. Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to change in its rotational motion, and angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates.

4. How is rotational momentum conserved?

Rotational momentum is conserved when there is no external torque acting on a system. This means that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant, even as individual objects within the system may experience changes in their rotational motion.

5. How does rotational momentum affect the stability of an object?

Rotational momentum plays a significant role in the stability of an object. Objects with a higher moment of inertia are more difficult to rotate and therefore have greater stability. Additionally, objects with a higher angular velocity have greater rotational momentum and may be less stable due to their tendency to continue rotating.