Simple bug on uniform rod rotational momentum problem

In summary, a bug jumps off a 10.0-g bar that is initially at rest on a smooth horizontal table. The bar has a mass of 60.0g and a length of 90cm. The bug jumps off with a speed of 25.0cm/s relative to the table. To find the angular momentum of the bar, we use the formula L = mvR, where R is the perpendicular distance from the rotation axis to the line of travel, which in this case is the length of the bar. This gives us an angular momentum of mvR for the bug and -mvR for the bar. Setting this equal to the moment of inertia of the bar, (1/3)MR^2w
area5x1

Homework Statement

A small 10.0-g bug stands at one end of a thin uniform bar that is initially at rest on a smooth horizontal table. The other end of the bar pivots about a nail driven into the table and can rotate freely, without friction. The bar has mass 60.0g and is 90cm in length. The bug jumps off in the horizontal direction, perpendicular to the bar, with a speed of 25.0cm/s relative to the table.

Homework Equations

L = Iw
P = mv

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the linear momentum of the bug: p=0.01(.25) = 0.0025

I then set that equal to the momentum of the rod: 0.0025 = Iw. The moment of inertia for the rod is I=(1/3)MR^2. Therefore I = (1/3)(0.06)(0.9)^2 = 0.0162.

0.0025 = (0.0162)w. Solve for w. I get w = 0.154 rad/s. I have tried both positive and negative values for w and neither are correct. What am I doing wrong? This is for Mastering Physics, so the values are a little bit different from the textbook. However, when I plugged in textbook values, I get the same answer as the answer in the back of the book, so my method doesn't seem to be wrong...

Physics news on Phys.org
You need the relationship for the angular momentum of an object of mass m and velocity v moving on a straight line at a perpendicular distance D from a reference point. Since L = r x p , the magnitude of this angular momentum is L = rmv sin(theta) . We can regroup this into L = mv · [ r sin(theta) ] . If we measure the moment arm r from the reference point for rotation to the object anywhere along its straight line of travel, and measure the angle theta between that moment arm's vector and the velocity vector, we find that it produces a constant [ r sin(theta) ] = D , with D being the perpendicular distance from the reference point to the line of travel.

Since the bug leapt from on a line of travel perpendicular to the bar, the perpendicular distance from the rotation axis to the line of travel is just the length of the bar, or D = R . So the angular momentum of the bug after the leap is L = mvR . The bug and bar were initially at rest, so the bar will "recoil" with an angular momentum in the opposite direction but also with magnitude L = mvR .

So you want to set mvR = (1/3)MR2w for the bar.

Related to Simple bug on uniform rod rotational momentum problem

1. What is rotational momentum?

Rotational momentum, also known as angular momentum, is a property of a rotating object that describes its tendency to keep rotating at a constant rate. It is calculated by multiplying an object's moment of inertia by its angular velocity.

2. How is rotational momentum different from linear momentum?

Rotational momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion, while linear momentum is a measure of an object's linear motion. Rotational momentum depends on an object's shape and angular velocity, while linear momentum depends on an object's mass and linear velocity.

3. What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is calculated by summing up the products of each particle's mass and its squared distance from the axis of rotation.

4. How does a simple bug on a uniform rod affect the rod's rotational momentum?

A simple bug on a uniform rod will have a negligible effect on the rod's rotational momentum. The bug's mass is much smaller compared to the rod's mass, so its contribution to the moment of inertia is minimal. However, the bug's position on the rod can affect the distribution of the rod's mass and thus change its moment of inertia and rotational momentum.

5. What factors affect the rotational momentum of a uniform rod?

The rotational momentum of a uniform rod depends on its mass, length, and angular velocity. The moment of inertia, which is affected by the mass distribution and the location of the axis of rotation, also plays a crucial role in determining the rotational momentum. External forces, such as torque, can also affect the rod's rotational momentum.