Sachs-Wolfe effect and Superclusters/Supervoids

• I
  • Thread starter Arman777
  • Start date
In summary: I described but it only explains the structures that are near to us?In summary, Barbara Ryden explains the large and small fluctuations in the universe, how they are related to the dark matter, and how the Sachs-Wolfe effect began to happen when dark energy became a significant fraction of the energy density.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am reading Barbara Ryden- Introduction to Cosmology, my question is related to chapter 9.4

She first separates the type of fluctuations into the two parts, Large fluctuations (##\theta>\theta_H##) and small ones, (##\theta<\theta_H##).

where ##\theta_H≈1°##
For the large fluctuations, she states that the cause of these fluctuations is the dark matter since at the time of the last scattering the energy density of the dark matter is higher than the radiation or from the baryonic matter. Then she explains the gravitational potential wells Due to this potential wells some of the photons are in the well and when they try to get out they get redshifted and some of them are on the hill of the potential (potential maximum) so when they lose potential they become blueshifted.

Hence the redshifted spots on the CMBR correspond to the potential minima's while the blueshifted spots correspond to the potential maxima's.

For the (##\theta<\theta_H##) part, she introduces a photon-baryon fluid and defines the term called acoustic oscillations.

Also, we know that Dark matter shaped the current galaxies, In this sense can we say that , by looking at the CMBR, potential minimas corresponds to the supervoids and potential maxima's superclusters or vica verse?

Space news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:
Hence the redshifted spots on the CMBR correspond to the potential minima's while the blueshifted spots correspond to the potential maxima's.
Not quite. The vast majority of the CMB signal does not come from the ISW effect. This effect only impacts the CMB to a noticeable degree on large scales, so that all of the hot and cold spots you see on the CMB are hot and cold spots in the primordial plasma that emitted the signal.

On small scales, there are so many overdense regions and voids between us and the CMB that the effect cancels out entirely.

On large scales, nearby overdense regions and voids do impact the result. This relationship isn't something you'd ever notice by just looking at the CMB map. But it does leave a statistical imprint that is detectable, and it's been shown that nearby large scale structure does correlate to CMB temperature.

kimbyd said:
Not quite. The vast majority of the CMB signal does not come from the ISW effect. This effect only impacts the CMB to a noticeable degree on large scales, so that all of the hot and cold spots you see on the CMB are hot and cold spots in the primordial plasma that emitted the signal.

On large scales, nearby overdense regions and voids do impact the result. This relationship isn't something you'd ever notice by just looking at the CMB map. But it does leave a statistical imprint that is detectable, and it's been shown that nearby large scale structure does correlate to CMB temperature.
I tried to understand but I :/. So are you saying that the supercluster/supervoid structure happens the way I described but it only explains the structures that are near to us? ( I didn't understand the term nearby in this content)

kimbyd said:
On small scales, there are so many overdense regions and voids between us and the CMB that the effect cancels out entirely.

Hmm, maybe that's why she said acoustic oscillations.

Arman777 said:
I tried to understand but I :/. So are you saying that the supercluster/supervoid structure happens the way I described but it only explains the structures that are near to us? ( I didn't understand the term nearby in this content)
It happens for all structures. But when you look far away, there are lots and lots of voids and potential wells, so the blueshifts from the potential wells cancel out the redshifts from the voids. There aren't as many nearby structures, so their effect doesn't cancel as much and becomes visible.

Also, the Sachs-Wolfe effect was zero in the early universe. It's only since dark energy became a significant fraction of the energy density that the Sachs-Wolfe effect started to occur: without dark energy, potential wells (and voids) are stable. With dark energy, gravitational potentials decay over time: both wells and voids become more shallow.

Arman777 said:
Hmm, maybe that's why she said acoustic oscillations.
No, that's a different concept entirely that should be understood separately. Acoustic oscillations are what set up the CMB anisotropies in the early universe. They were sound waves in the plasma which existed before the CMB was emitted. The residuals of these sound waves also place an imprint on the distribution of galaxies (that is, how far apart various galaxies tend to be from one another on average).

Likes Arman777
kimbyd said:
Also, the Sachs-Wolfe effect was zero in the early universe. It's only since dark energy became a significant fraction of the energy density that the Sachs-Wolfe effect started to occur: without dark energy, potential wells (and voids) are stable. With dark energy, gravitational potentials decay over time: both wells and voids become more shallow.
I think there might be some mixing of terminology you two are using. Take a look at Wikipedia's article on Sachs-Wolfe effect. I think you're talking specifically about what it deems the late-time integrated S-W effect, whereas OP might be thinking of the earlier ones.

kimbyd said:
lso, the Sachs-Wolfe effect was zero in the early universe. It's only since dark energy became a significant fraction of the energy density that the Sachs-Wolfe effect started to occur: without dark energy, potential wells (and voids) are stable. With dark energy, gravitational potentials decay over time: both wells and voids become more shallow.

Bandersnatch said:
I think there might be some mixing of terminology you two are using. Take a look at Wikipedia's article on Sachs-Wolfe effect. I think you're talking specifically about what it deems the late-time integrated S-W effect, whereas OP might be thinking of the earlier ones.

In my book the reason is stated as Dark matter. and the era is last scattering.

kimbyd said:
No, that's a different concept entirely that should be understood separately. Acoustic oscillations are what set up the CMB anisotropies in the early universe. They were sound waves in the plasma which existed before the CMB was emitted. The residuals of these sound waves also place an imprint on the distribution of galaxies (that is, how far apart various galaxies tend to be from one another on average).

Thats interesting. So this baryon-photon fluid distribution describes the galaxy positions. But we cannot see them right..since they are before CMBR.

So just one last time to make things clear, The blueshifted spots represents clusters/superclusters and redshifts representes voids ?

Bandersnatch said:
Ah, I think you're right. The non-integrated Sachs-Wolfe effect comes from the time that the CMB was emitted. At emission, some locations were more dense than others. The photons that traveled from the more dense locations were redshifted, while those that came from the less dense locations were blueshifted. That effect is indeed the cause of most of the observed temperature differences in the CMB.

I apologize for the mistake. Usually the Sachs-Wolfe effect is talked about in relation to the ISW effect. So most everything I said above is completely off-topic.

Likes jim mcnamara
kimbyd said:
Ah, I think you're right. The non-integrated Sachs-Wolfe effect comes from the time that the CMB was emitted. At emission, some locations were more dense than others. The photons that traveled from the more dense locations were redshifted, while those that came from the less dense locations were blueshifted. That effect is indeed the cause of most of the observed temperature differences in the CMB.

I apologize for the mistake. Usually the Sachs-Wolfe effect is talked about in relation to the ISW effect. So most everything I said above is completely off-topic.
I see

1. What is the Sachs-Wolfe effect?

The Sachs-Wolfe effect is a phenomenon in cosmology where the temperature of the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation is affected by the gravitational potential of large-scale structures such as superclusters and supervoids. This results in small temperature fluctuations in the CMB, which can provide valuable information about the distribution of matter in the universe.

2. How does the Sachs-Wolfe effect relate to superclusters and supervoids?

The Sachs-Wolfe effect is caused by the gravitational potential of large-scale structures, such as superclusters and supervoids, which can create temperature fluctuations in the CMB. These fluctuations can be used to study the distribution of matter in the universe, including the presence of superclusters and supervoids.

3. What are superclusters and supervoids?

Superclusters and supervoids are the largest known structures in the universe, consisting of thousands of galaxies that are gravitationally bound together. Superclusters are regions of high density, while supervoids are regions of low density. These structures play a crucial role in the large-scale structure of the universe and can help us understand its evolution.

4. How does the Sachs-Wolfe effect help us study superclusters and supervoids?

By measuring the temperature fluctuations in the CMB caused by the Sachs-Wolfe effect, scientists can map the distribution of matter in the universe, including the locations of superclusters and supervoids. This can provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of these structures, as well as the overall structure of the universe.

5. What are the implications of the Sachs-Wolfe effect and superclusters/supervoids for our understanding of the universe?

The Sachs-Wolfe effect and the study of superclusters and supervoids are important for our understanding of the large-scale structure and evolution of the universe. They can help us test theories of cosmology and provide insights into the nature of dark matter and dark energy. Additionally, studying these structures can also provide clues about the initial conditions of the universe and its ultimate fate.