Saddle point in trapping region

• Thread starter Appaloosa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of saddle points in a 2D system with a trapping region. The index theory is mentioned and it is explained that the index of the region is +1 and the sum of indices of fixed points inside should also equal +1. It is noted that stable and unstable fixed points have an index of +1 while saddle points have an index of -1. The possibility of two unstable fixed points and a saddle existing within the trapping region is mentioned, and there is a question about the topology of this scenario. The individual is unsure whether limit cycles exist around the unstable fixed points or if trajectories are attracted to the saddle point. They are seeking clarification on this topic and suggest that visualizations may be helpful in
Appaloosa
hi all,

i have a question regarding saddle points. I'm looking at a 2D system which has a trapping region, all trajectories on the boundary point in. from strogatz's book on nonlinear systems I've read about index theory and so as i understand it the index of this region is +1 and the sum of the indices of any fixed points inside that region should also = +1. i understand that stable and unstable fixed points have index +1 whilst saddle points have index -1.

presumably this mean that it is possible for two unstable fixed points and a saddle to exist within this trapping region. i can't really visualize this topology however and I'm trying to work out whether limit cycles would have to exist about the two unstable fixed points or if all trajectories some how end up on the stable manifold of the saddle and are attracted to the saddle point? I'm pretty new to nonlinear systems analysis so I've probably misunderstood something somewhere which would explain which of these two scenarios actually occurs. hopefully someone can point me in the right direction?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Those examples (of vector fields) can always be visualized by some drawings. I'm not sure what index in this context is, but it seems pretty obvious that saddle points relate to unstable equilibria.

1. What is a saddle point in trapping region?

A saddle point in trapping region is a point on a potential energy surface where the gradient is zero in one direction, but not in the perpendicular direction. This creates a saddle-like shape in the energy landscape, making it a potential trapping region for particles or atoms.

2. How does a saddle point affect the motion of particles or atoms?

A saddle point can act as a barrier or trap for particles or atoms, causing them to become temporarily or permanently trapped in this region. The stability of the saddle point will determine how long the particles or atoms will remain trapped before escaping.

3. What causes a saddle point to form in a trapping region?

A saddle point in trapping region is formed due to the competing forces acting on particles or atoms. For example, in a physical system, the attractive and repulsive forces between particles can create a saddle point in the potential energy surface.

4. How does the shape of the trapping region affect the properties of a saddle point?

The shape of the trapping region can greatly influence the properties of a saddle point. A wider trapping region, for example, can result in a more stable saddle point, while a narrower trapping region can lead to a less stable saddle point.

5. Can saddle points in trapping regions be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, it is possible to manipulate or control the formation and properties of saddle points in trapping regions. This can be achieved through various methods such as changing the shape of the trapping region, altering the forces acting on the particles, or introducing external fields to the system.