Deducing the existence of a disconnected solution

• A
  • Thread starter ShayanJ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Existence
In summary, the paper discusses an equation of motion with two independent solutions, one being a local minimum and the other a saddle point. However, it is argued that there must be another local minimum of the effective action, with a smaller value than that of the saddle point. This solution is described as two disconnected surfaces located at x = ± l/2 and is not captured by the above analysis. The paper also mentions that the maximum of the curve occurs at a smaller value of U than the rest of the curve due to the direction of the coordinate U. The concept of a link and the abelian U are also referenced.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
I'm trying to read this paper. At some point, it tries to find the minimums of an action. At first it deduces the existence of two independent solutions and says that one of them is a minimum and the other is a saddle point. Then goes on to mention that this means that actually there is another minimum and the saddle point is actually a maximum. But I don't understand the argument presented. Here's what it says:
We see that for small l the equation of motion (13) has two independent solutions, one with
large ##U^∗## and the other with ##U^∗ ≃ U_0## . The former is a local minimum of the action (15) while the latter is a saddle point. We can interpolate between them with a sequence of curves which differ in the minimal value of U, such that the solution with large U ∗ is a local minimum along this sequence, while the one with ##U^∗ ≃ U_0## is a local maximum.This implies that there must be another local minimum of the effective action, with ##U_∗## smaller than that of the saddle point. This solution cannot correspond to a smooth ##U(x)##, since then it would be captured by the above analysis. Therefore, it must correspond to a disconnected solution, which formally has ##U^∗ = U_0## , but is better described as two disconnected surfaces that are extended in all spatial directions except for x, and are located at ##x = ± \frac l 2 ## .
##U^*## is the maximum of the curve but because of the particular direction of the coordinate U, the maximum of the curve happens at a smaller U than the rest of the curve and so the paper calls it the minimum of the curve.
Can anyone explain this argument to me?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The half-integer is by itself characteristic of a link, and I assume you've made reference to the abelian U. On the whole, what you've stated is quite reasonable insofar as to describe it as "two disconnected surfaces". It's a bit over my head, so sorry if I can't break it down further.

1. How can we deduce the existence of a disconnected solution?

One way to deduce the existence of a disconnected solution is by considering the boundary conditions of the problem. If the boundary conditions suggest that there can be multiple solutions that do not connect or overlap, then it is possible that a disconnected solution exists.

2. What role does topology play in deducing the existence of a disconnected solution?

Topology plays a crucial role in deducing the existence of a disconnected solution. Topology deals with the properties of space that are preserved under continuous deformations, and a disconnected solution would involve a discontinuous change in the space.

3. Can mathematical modeling be used to deduce the existence of a disconnected solution?

Yes, mathematical modeling can be used to deduce the existence of a disconnected solution. By constructing a mathematical model of the problem and analyzing its solutions, we can determine if there is a possible scenario where a disconnected solution could exist.

4. Are there any real-life applications that involve deducing the existence of a disconnected solution?

Yes, there are many real-life applications where deducing the existence of a disconnected solution is important. For example, in physics, the behavior of certain systems can only be explained by considering the possibility of a disconnected solution.

5. What are some challenges in deducing the existence of a disconnected solution?

One challenge in deducing the existence of a disconnected solution is that it may not always be apparent or easy to prove. Additionally, the existence of a disconnected solution may depend on various factors and assumptions, making it difficult to generalize in certain cases.