Safe nitrogen compound to decompose a 500 deg C in a furnace?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Andy Ward
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Nitrogen
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Andy Ward
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi all - looking for help as a metallurgist - not a chemist.

For a powder metallurgy project I need a simple, solid, powdery nitrogen compound I can mix with metallic, compacted powder and heat to 500 deg C. I need it to liberate nitrogen to react with the metal surfaces. I was looking at copper cyanide but will this liberate toxic fumes on breakdown? Was also looking at such things as urea but want hydrogen-free if I can get it or the hydrogen might dissolve in my aluminium powder.

Any suggestions based on C-N materials?

Many thanks for any response.

Andy
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
All CN compounds seem to produce hazardous fumes when pyrolized so "safe" is not likely in this case. If you have your heart set on a CN compound, I think melamine is your most likely candidate. C3H6N6 (or CH2N2)

You might also use magnesium nitride powder. It decomposes steadily up to 500C releasing it's nitrogen. I would think the magnesium would alloy itself with the aluminum if that can be tolerated. Might try zinc nitride as well.