Safety of plastic spoons, etc. below their advised maximum temperature?

In summary: It is important to remember that the risks of alcohol consumption go up with the amount of alcohol consumed. In summary, Kenny, you really need to stop worrying about made-up hazards. It is not healthy.It's not healthy to worry about made-up hazards, but it's also not healthy to binge drink and drive.
kenny1999
I like using polypropylene dishware e.g. spoon, and storage box. I can see that from its label sometimes the maximum temperature recommended is 110 degree C or 120 degree C but it usually doesn't go away from this range. By common sense, I will never heat the polypropylene dishware directly but is it okay to have them serve with hot water (about 100C) or food? If it's only 10 or 20C below the maximum temperature, will it enough start leaching or to have other problems. This is a concern in my mind for quite some time...

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Kenny, you really need to stop worrying about made-up hazards. It is not healthy.

Also, water you are serving with food art 100C - boiling - is far more of a hazard.

Likes russ_watters, jim mcnamara, jrmichler and 4 others
Polypropylene is a kind of plastic often used in biology labs because you can autoclave it (pressurized steam (above 100˚C). It retains its usefulness in biology labs because it has not formed or shed bad chemicals after the heating.

On the other hand, any kind of plastic can have additives that can be bad in some way.
Using food grade plastics should avoid this.

• Informative
Likes russ_watters and berkeman
The OP has a history of being concerned about the hypothetical health dangers of common items. (S)he is apparently not aware of the true dangers to health. Searching Google Scholar for papers on the effect of healthy lifestyle on death rates and life expectancy, two of the first hits are:

1) Impact of Healthy Lifestyle Factors on Life Expectancies in the US Population, found at: https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/epub/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.117.032047. An interesting graph (not the only one) from that paper is:
Healthy lifestyle.jpg

2) Influence of Individual and Combined Health Behaviors on Total and Cause-Specific Mortality in Men and Women - The United Kingdom Health and Lifestyle Survey, found at: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/article-abstract/415827. An interesting plot from that paper:
Health behaviors.jpg

If you are truly interested in your health, these papers can give you some good ideas, along with measurable benefits. You can also search healthy lifestyle on your favorite search engine to get good information.

• Informative
Likes hutchphd, jim mcnamara and BillTre
For a good article written on the subject of healthy lifestyles written for the general public, see: https://news.cancerresearchuk.org/2008/01/10/four-lifestyle-changes-for-fourteen-years-of-life/

The researchers studied 20,000 healthy people aged 45-79 over the course of 11 years, assessing their lifestyle choices and tracking their health. Each person was given a health score of 0 to 4, with one point for each of the following healthy behaviours:
After adjusting for the participants’ age, social class, gender and body weight, the EPIC researchers found that the combination of the four behaviours had a strong impact on their health.

Likes BillTre
So, one unit = 8 grams of pure alcohol!

The definition of "moderate" or "low-risk" alcohol consumption varies substantially. The U.K. definition is perhaps the strictest. In the U.S. moderate drinking is defined as 14 units per week, where a unit is 14g of ethanol, almost twice as much as in the U.K.. The W.H.O. defines low risk drinking as about 40% higher than the U.S. The semi-autonomous region known as the Basque country considers low risk drinking to be as much as 2.5 times as much as the U.S. definition, nearly 5 times what the U.K. recommends.

So how do you decide how much risk is worth taking?

A more recent paper on the subject was published in the Lancet in 2018. They found that mortality risk due to alcohol consumption was essentially flat up to about 7 units (@14g) per week. At 14 drinks per week, the USDA definition of moderate, the risk is substantially higher. The authors of that paper estimate that a 40 year old male who consumes 14 U.S. standard drinks per week will die 1-2 years earlier than someone who consumes 7 or less. I find that, umm, sobering.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(18)30134-X/fulltext

Likes jim mcnamara and Ygggdrasil
Ygggdrasil said:
Had to look up the original research paper to find the answer:
[a unit of alcohol is half a pint of beer, a glass of wine, or a shot of spirit)]
https://journals.plos.org/plosmedicine/article?id=10.1371/journal.pmed.0050012
Surprising answer. I have always heard that one beer is one unit, equal to one glass of wine. Googling, I see an average beer is 4.5% ABV, wine 11.6%. A standard glass of wine is 5oz and a pint is 16oz*. So by those numbers it's about 1.25 glasses of beer per glass of wine. Obviously mileage varies based on the variety. And maybe more recently higher abv beers are gaining favor. On the other side, it may be harder/take longer to drink the beer due to the volume.

[edit]
*Laboratory testing conducted: A pint glass holds a pint if you fill it to the top, but a typical bottle of beer is 12oz, so that's 0.93 beers per glass of wine.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes BillTre
berkeman said:
But did they use plastic forks while consuming all those fruits and vegetables? Let's stay on topic here, folks! :wink:
Is there a topic? :-p

• Haha
Likes berkeman
BillTre said:
So, one unit = 8 grams of pure alcohol!
Where I live, it's 12 grams of pure alcohol. Says something about the culture I live in.

Mayhem said:
Where I live, it's 12 grams of pure alcohol. Says something about the culture I live in.
What does it say?

Most of Europe uses either 10g or 12g as the standard. But the unit used by a given country doesn't correlate very well with the recommendation for consumption. There are countries that use smaller units but have higher recommended weekly (or daily) maximums.

russ_watters said:
Is there a topic? :-p
Exactly.

It looks like the OP's question has been addressed pretty well, so I'll go ahead and tie off the thread now. Thanks folks! :smile:

1. What is the maximum temperature that plastic spoons can withstand?

The maximum temperature that plastic spoons can withstand varies depending on the type of plastic. Generally, most plastic spoons can withstand temperatures up to 150 degrees Fahrenheit. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and not exceed the advised maximum temperature.

2. Can plastic spoons release harmful chemicals when used at high temperatures?

Yes, at high temperatures, plastic spoons can release harmful chemicals such as BPA (bisphenol A) and phthalates. These chemicals can leach into food and potentially cause health issues. It is important to use plastic spoons at or below their advised maximum temperature to avoid this risk.

3. Are there any safe alternatives to plastic spoons for hot foods?

Yes, there are several safe alternatives to plastic spoons for hot foods. These include wooden spoons, metal spoons, and silicone spoons. These materials are heat-resistant and do not release harmful chemicals when used at high temperatures.

4. Can reheating food in plastic spoons be harmful?

Yes, reheating food in plastic spoons can be harmful as it can cause the plastic to leach chemicals into the food. It is best to transfer the food onto a plate or use a heat-resistant utensil when reheating food.

5. How should plastic spoons be stored to ensure their safety?

Plastic spoons should be stored in a cool and dry place, away from direct sunlight and heat sources. It is also important to avoid storing them with other hot items, as this can cause the plastic to melt or release harmful chemicals. Additionally, make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper storage to ensure the safety of the plastic spoons.

Back